We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Gear case oil

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

steve0

Gear case oil

Post by steve0 »

Hello, I just checked my gear case oil and it has enough. However, I had a difficult time getting the screw back in, so some leaked out.

The manual says to us 10-30 oil, but the oil that came out was red. It didn't look like normal 10-30 oil to me.

What oil should I use to add to the gear case?

Thanks,

Steve
gdouglas8

Post by gdouglas8 »

the red oil is mostl likely light weight gear oil from a motorcross bike, oil chaincase oil.
I think some of these lighter oil are red...sometime, depends on manufacturer.

No biggie, you should use 10-30 motor oil.
Remove the lower screw to drain the oil in it and replace it with 10-30 motor oil.

I don't think the gear oil would have caused any harm.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

gdouglas8 wrote:the red oil is mostl likely light weight gear oil from a motorcross bike, oil chaincase oil.
I think some of these lighter oil are red...sometime, depends on manufacturer.

No biggie, you should use 10-30 motor oil.
Remove the lower screw to drain the oil in it and replace it with 10-30 motor oil.

I don't think the gear oil would have caused any harm.
Thanks for the reply. That lower screw is really in a tough spot to drain and the put the screw back in....I had a heck of time getting it back in.

Any tips/tricks for draining the oil without getting a ton of oil in he belly pan? If I don't get it all out is there any harm in having that oil and 10-30 in there at the same time?

Thanks again,

Steve
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

Most effective way to change the gear oil is with the motor removed from the chassis. If you don't want to do this, do the best you can with what you have.
Those phillips head bolts are a pain in the butt to work with, even with an impact screw driver. I've swapped out many of my phillips head bolts to allen head bolts which are much more easy to work with especially in hard to reach places like the recoil.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat