We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1998 Kitty Cat wont idle.

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

riotten22

1998 Kitty Cat wont idle.

Post by riotten22 »

I have played with some of the idle adjustment screws but cannot get my 1998 kitty cat to idle. It runs fine when throttle is applied. Any easy fixes or suggestions for this problem?

Thanks,
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

Yes.
your carb needs to be dissembled, thoroughly cleaned, re assembled and set back to factory specs.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
1232kb

same problem

Post by 1232kb »

I have the same problem but my carb is spottless. Every orfice is clean but it only likes to idle at a higher rpm. As soon as i drop it a little it will stall as if it is running out of gas. Which is not the issue. The carb is set right and the float to factory specs
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

I feel it's a fuel issue.....can't trust what you get at the gas station nowadays...with all the "ahols" in there. May have to increase the pilot jet on top or just up the main a size or just use 93 instead of 89 or 87 octane fuel.....I see it all the time
sledrider

Re: same problem

Post by sledrider »

1232kb wrote:I have the same problem but my carb is spottless. Every orfice is clean but it only likes to idle at a higher rpm. As soon as i drop it a little it will stall as if it is running out of gas. Which is not the issue. The carb is set right and the float to factory specs
Mine does the same exact thing. I just cleaned everything last week and put in fresh fuel, 87 from country fair about 3 days prior. Runs great at faster rpm, turn in the screw until it almost engages the clutch and it will idle, albeit extremely fast. Turn it out even 1/4 turn and it dies. Either way it runs fine as soon as you give it a bit of throttle. If you find anything out with yours please let me know.
catman20

Post by catman20 »

I had the same problem, would not idle after trying many different things. Today I switched my gas from 87 octane to Shell 93 octane. You wouldn't believe it but this thing idles like new after switching the gas over to 93 octane. Good luck! It worked for me!
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

I don't run anything with ethanol (like 87) in any of my small motors. I use strictly 91 (non oxy). I hate that ethanol blended crap they call gasoline today.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat