We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

can anyone confirm TDC for a 1978 kitty from a manual

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

cmassman81

can anyone confirm TDC for a 1978 kitty from a manual

Post by cmassman81 »

have a 1978 Arctic cat Kitty cat, that will not run at all, been sitting 15 years I just got it.
It has awesome spark, carb has been cleaned like 6 times.
Engine will bearly even sputter if I spray carb cleaner or gas in the cylinder!

I want to check the Timing of the points but do not have manual! So I dont know the BTDC setting!
there was a service manual on ebay for 1977-79 cats, but I got outbid at $35 dollars at the last minute!

can anyone please help me I have a dissapointed 6yr old girl. :(

It is a:

Spirit motor
model AA06A3
Bore 41 mm
stroke 45mm
Made by suzuki

Thank you,
Chris

I also have an email at: CMASSMAN81@yahoo.com
steve0

Post by steve0 »

I just sent you an email of scan from a 1991 manual. Not sure if it applies, hopefully it does.

-Steve
cmassman81

Post by cmassman81 »

thank you for replying, But I don;t know it this will help me. My sled has contact points for ignition, I have a dial indicator tool, but no tac-meter
Old School

Post by Old School »

In my 72 operators manual it says:

Ignition Timing- 20 degrees BTDC
Point Gap- .012" - .016"
Spark Plug- NGK BR-6HS
Spark Plug Gap- .020"

That's for the kawasaki 60cc motor.

I don't think there is a advance for them, its just like a lawn mower.
The timing marks are on outside of the flywheel, there should be a T & F mark. There is a mark on the case also. You will need a buzzer or a light to know when the points open when the flywheel lines up with the F mark on the flywheel and the case.

Hope that's what your looking for.
Old School.
cmassman81

Post by cmassman81 »

thank you also for responding,
I do not know what T and F mean on the flywheel. Is setting the BTDC with a dial indicator and a ohm meter across the points a reliable setting procedure? if so that is the route I plan to take, but I cannot read 20 degrees with an indicator I would need a decimal measurement.
which I can read with my indicator.

The motor will only spudder, so I cannot get to 6000 rpm for a timming light.

Thanks
Chris

Post by 72 »

cmassman81 wrote:...... but I cannot read 20 degrees with an indicator I would need a decimal measurement.
which I can read with my indicator.........

You could trig it out, C=half the stroke (22.5mm), the difference between B and C is the measurment your looking for.
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

20 degrees is .068....there's a rubber cap by the recoil rope...pull that off and you will see a arrow casted into the case on the left.....turn over the motor and you will see 3 lines etched into the flywheel....that's close enough
pjba1

Post by pjba1 »

I have been having a similiar problem. What I found was that I had great spark, compression, good gas and a good carb. I finally took the carb off and covered the intake with my thumb and cranked it over with a plug in it and had no suction. I removed the engine and tore it down and found bad crank seals. It was sucking in through the case instead of the intake. Just waiting on seals to arrive probably tomorrow and my kitty will be purring again. Hope this helps
cmassman81

Post by cmassman81 »

Thanks that is very helpfull it sounds just like what I have going on! I will check the suction out. Where did you find seals at? do you need a special removal tool to remove the seals?
cmassman81

Post by cmassman81 »

that looks to be it! Behind the recoil The crank seal wasn't even in place, fell out I have new ones ordered!

They are lik $10 a piece.

do they look to just pull out is that right or is there a removal tool needed?
cmassman81

Post by cmassman81 »

thanks for the tip on crank seals, checked it out The seal on the Magneto side was blown out ! not even in its seat! Got new seals and it fired right up, 78 kitty purring right along!

Thanks!