We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

"Custom made" Governors?

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

AKMopar

"Custom made" Governors?

Post by AKMopar »

I've done some reading on the installation of the 18mm mikuni carb as well as the govenor removal and it seems as though removing the govenor, whethor or not you install the 18mm, can eventually lead to toasting the bottom end. If I understand correctly the problem is that the crank doens't get enough oil to survive because without the govenor the motor spins way to high?? What if the govenor is removed when installing an 18mm carb but a throttle stop is attached to the handlbar so that it stops the thumb throttle from going all the way to the bar, limiting the travel of the throttle and therefore limiting the RPMs? My son's Suzuki JR50 has a govenor on it and it utilizes a simple adjustable screw, of course that is a twist throttle but I still think I could make something work reasonably quick and secure. Any thoughts on this? Thanks for any input!

David
Arctic Cats and Mopars Make the World Go 'Round
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

the key is not to let the motor rev past 6000 rpm's. the motor will last a long time if you don't bypass the governor. 18mm carb on this motor is useless if you don't rev past 6000 rpm....stock carb is just fine...I've posted in the past explaining the problems. (1) theres no slots in the rod to let in the lubrication..(2) the ID of the lower rod and is too tight.....so even if you install the slotted rod and not clearance it properly it will still burn up.....seen people do that too
AKMopar

Post by AKMopar »

Thanks for the reply! I've read several of your responses to the govenor questions and that it where I had the warnings of not going over 6000RPM. I guess I won't bother with the 18mm carb. I will just get back to the stock carb, leaks and all. I will just keep fiddling with it, clean it again, adjust the floats etc... All in the fun, I suppose. Thanks for your time!

David
Arctic Cats and Mopars Make the World Go 'Round