We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

please clarify float adjustment

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

99 kittys

please clarify float adjustment

Post by 99 kittys »

I am having problems with one of my 99 kittys leaking fuel overnight. It leaks out the vent and thru the motor and out the exhaust. I had previously cleaned up the carb and just re-soaked it for a few days in heavy duty carb cleaner. I just reassembled it and just had a question on the float adjustment. From what I've learned/read .68" with carb upside down measuring from the edge of float to float bowl base. Looked at all the pics and my confusion is that with the carb upside down and the float .68" from the base the float just about hits the brass plate. The float itself is almost .68" tall so I must be missing something. That would mean the needle won't shut off until the float is at almost max height? Before I buy a new carb or at least a float and needle and seat I just wanted to be sure i'm not missing something. Also the needle and seat are working tested them in and out of the carb. Thanks for your help.
Two 99 kittys both stock with Dan the Man lift kits.
steve0

Re: please clarify float adjustment

Post by steve0 »

99 kittys wrote:I am having problems with one of my 99 kittys leaking fuel overnight. It leaks out the vent and thru the motor and out the exhaust. I had previously cleaned up the carb and just re-soaked it for a few days in heavy duty carb cleaner. I just reassembled it and just had a question on the float adjustment. From what I've learned/read .68" with carb upside down measuring from the edge of float to float bowl base. Looked at all the pics and my confusion is that with the carb upside down and the float .68" from the base the float just about hits the brass plate. The float itself is almost .68" tall so I must be missing something. That would mean the needle won't shut off until the float is at almost max height? Before I buy a new carb or at least a float and needle and seat I just wanted to be sure i'm not missing something. Also the needle and seat are working tested them in and out of the carb. Thanks for your help.
When you cleaned the carb, did you take out the needle and seat and clean that out as well?

The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem last year and took out and cleaned the carb several times, each time not touching the needle and seat as I didn't want to "screw it up." When I finally realized I may need to replace the carb and felt I had nothing to lose, I took out the needle and seat and cleaned it.....haven't had a problem since.

I just looked at my service manual...it's for a 1991, but should apply.

The correct float adjustment is 16.5mm-17.8mm(0.65-0.70in.)

Hope this helps.

-Steve
99 kittys

Post by 99 kittys »

When I first cleaned the carb I took out all the jets and sprayed it with carb clean. Everything looked ok. This time I took it completely apart and soaked everything for a few days and blew it all out again just to be sure. I just wanted to clarify the float adjustment before putting it back together. I know its .68" just not sure where to measure from. thanks
Two 99 kittys both stock with Dan the Man lift kits.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

99 kittys wrote:When I first cleaned the carb I took out all the jets and sprayed it with carb clean. Everything looked ok. This time I took it completely apart and soaked everything for a few days and blew it all out again just to be sure. I just wanted to clarify the float adjustment before putting it back together. I know its .68" just not sure where to measure from. thanks
The service manual says to measure the distance from the edge of the float to the float bowl base.
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

This is a standard problem. The problem is over time the needle gets grooves worn into the needle and the brass seat. With the fuel tank higher than the carb it always drains into the motor or out the vent on the left side of the carb....IMHO it's just always best to turn off the fuel at the tank when done riding it....other than that you can replace the needle and seat.....but even new ones leak fuel by