We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1999 Kitty Won't Start

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

steve0

1999 Kitty Won't Start

Post by steve0 »

Hello,

During the summer I picked up a 1999 Kitty Cat. I had it running fine and yesterday I went to start it and it started for a couple of seconds. I gave it some throttle and it stalled. I can't get it running again.

It's getting spark, although the spark plug tip is black and looks to have oil on it. I'm not sure if that is normal.

Also, when I am pulling the recoil the headlight comes on as it should, so I don't think it's a switch or electrical problem.

One more thing.... after pulling the recoil several times I don't smell any gas at all. Almost as if the gas isn't getting into the carb. The gas is on and I can see it in the fuel line.

Any ideas what else I should be checking? It's sounds like it's a fuel/carb issue, but I'm trying to avoid taking the carb apart.

Thanks everyone!

-Steve

Post by 72 »

What your describing sounds like a carb issue. Stuck float or some smeg pluging a fuel passage. A few taps on the side of the carb body could free up a stuck float but a good cleaning would be your best option to avoid further problems.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

Thanks for the reply.

It ended up be a spark plug issue. I replaced the plug, gave it a few pulls and it runs great!

Thanks again,

Steve