We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1972 T5A Timing setup

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

leequack

1972 T5A Timing setup

Post by leequack »

Can anyone help with this?

To: Old School
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 pm
Subject: T5A Timing setup
I found this old post of yours in the chat room. I am in the process of replacing the crank seals on my 1972 T5A engine and need to set the timing. I found the T&F marks on the flywheel as you mention below as well as the hash mark on the crankcase at top dead center(TDC). I assume I have to line up the F flywheel mark with the TDC mark when the points open. You mention using a test light to assist with this. What are you hooking the test light to? Also, do you know the maxs test light voltage I can safely use?

Also, when I replace the crank seals should i coat the outside of the seals with any kind of sealant or just tap them back in dry?

Thanks for your help.
Lee

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
In my 72 operators manual it says:

Ignition Timing- 20 degrees BTDC
Point Gap- .012" - .016"
Spark Plug- NGK BR-6HS
Spark Plug Gap- .020"

Thats for a kawasaki 60cc motor.

I dont think there is a advance for them, its just like a lawn mower.
The timing marks are on outside of the flywheel, there should be a T & F mark. There is a mark on the case also. You will need a buzzer or a light to know when the points open when the flywheel lines up with the F mark on the flywheel and the case.

Hope it helps.
Old School.