We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

73 still won't idle new seals and clean carb. what next?

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

motojet

73 still won't idle new seals and clean carb. what next?

Post by motojet »

I need some help here guys. i have a 73 kitty with a kawi motor that wont idle. the seals have been changed and the carb cleaned. it still wont idle. any ideas? also the governer surges when the gas is held half open.

thanks

Post by 72 »

You could try disconnecting the gov. from the carb and operating the butterfly by hand . If you can acheive a reasonable idle this way , then more than likely the gov. would be suspect . Possibly sticky, loose,slaping around.... kinda like my last date lol.
motojet

Post by motojet »

72, i tried taking the arm off and it still wont idle. the sled will only run at full throttle. whats next??

Post by 72 »

This is a shot in the dark , shut off fuel to the carb while its running . If you notice some momentary improvment then try lowering the float level . It may take 2 or 3 tries bending the arms down to get it right .
motojet

Post by motojet »

i tried the carb off my other kitty and it still wont idle. im stumped

Post by 72 »

Well if its not the carb . Then maybe something in the ignition got moved out of time when you changed the seals or is loose . Is the key for the flyweel still there ? Is there anyway that the piston might have been installed backwards ? Does the engine turn freely without the plug in it (binding/ tight spots) ? There really isnt a whole lot left.