We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

78 kitty starts an idles fine, but wont move track

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

dogpissjones

78 kitty starts an idles fine, but wont move track

Post by dogpissjones »

Got a 78 kitty (spirit eng) as a "basket " case. Motor was all put together when I got it, but govenor linkage (on outstide of motor) was disconnected. I've got a lot of time into this sled and it looks great. Sled will start and idol, but will not move the track. Can anyone help me, my daughters almost four now and is ready to sart riding. thanks

Post by 72 »

If you have a chain on it , the pto is turning, and the drive sprocket is connected to the driven shaft , then the clutch is probably frozen up .
dogpissjones

Post by dogpissjones »

Pto is not turning, clutch is brand new. thanks anyway, got any other guesses. I can see the butterfly in the carb is opening all the way but it just doesent seem to have enough to get the pto spinning!

Post by 72 »

The PTO is the shaft that comes out of the engine and has the clutch attached to it . If thats not turning while the engine is running then your missing something in the gear box . The engine has to turn around 3600rpms for the clutch to start engaging . Are you thinking the engine is not reving up high enough ?
dogpissjones

Post by dogpissjones »

Yeah. I don't think we're getting enough rpms. The pto end of shaft is not turning. I have built my share of arctic cats, so I know a little about 2 stroke motors, but i can't figure this problem out, so naturally my first guess is the governor or whats going on inside the transfer case. Also the motor was intact when i got the sled , but the governor linkage was disconnected and taken apart - another reason i'm suspecting it.

Post by 72 »

Good one! LOL . I almost thought I was dealing with a retard.
dogpissjones

Post by dogpissjones »

what the hell is that supposed to mean?