We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Fuel Leaking from Tank - Rubber Grommet

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Driftbuster

Fuel Leaking from Tank - Rubber Grommet

Post by Driftbuster »

Does anyone know if they sell new rubber grommets that hold the fuel shutoff valve in the tank?
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

yes... its a common problem . they only cost a a buck or two
Driftbuster

Grommet

Post by Driftbuster »

OK I found it in the catalog. I missed it the first time.

Item # 32 on the picture - Part Number 1670-325 $1.74.

Thanks
mike warren

Leaky Tank

Post by mike warren »

I also have the same problem. It seems like it is a poor design. I took out the rubber and coated it with a RTV sealant that is safe for gasoline. I haven't filled it back up yet but I am hoping that it works. I was going to get a new rubber gasket but I was afraid that it would just leak again in a year or two.

My other thought is to take off a small tank from a lawn mower or snow blower that actually has a fuel nipple on the bottom of the tank. Has anyone ever done this?

Mike
1986 Kitty Cat
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

One of the issues that cause the rubber grommets to leak is alcohol in the gas. Try to stay away from gas with alcohol it. This is true on lawn mowers and snow blowers that use the rubber grommets also.
irv

New guy here.

Post by irv »

Hi, I just joined. I am glad I was sent this link for this forum! Anyways, I am in the process of replacing my son's petcock/grommet on his 89/90 Kitty Cat and I am curious on how to remove the old one? Does it just pull out? Any tricks to doing this as it seems very hard to pull out? I tried some what but I am worried about breaking the tank? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, great looking site..............Irv
1989 Kitty Cat(son's)
1995 XLT Special(mine)
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

x acto knife or razor blade
BILL ROCKS!!!!!!!
KITTY CATS ROCK!
irv

Post by irv »

1121racinkitty wrote:x acto knife or razor blade
BILL ROCKS!!!!!!!
Cut what exactly? It still has to come out from the tank. How do you get a knife in there to cut it?..........Irv
1989 Kitty Cat(son's)
1995 XLT Special(mine)
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

Just Yank the the Petcock Out of the Tank.. You may have to wiggle it back and forth... after you get it out... grab the grommet with pliers or pry it out with a screwdriver. Insert the new grommet
Make sure you clean the Petcock portion that is to slide in the grommet so there is no corrosion on it... when that is all good, I put a small drop of oil or a tiny bit of grease in the grommet and slide the petcock In... FYI This project shouldn't take you more then 5 minutes.. and that includes finding your tools
"Any day above dirt is a good one"
irv

Post by irv »

Thanks Harry, I got it out on the week-end. I just sprayed a bit of rust check around the grommett and heated up the tank with a heat gun and out it slid.
I was afraid of breaking my tank as it is getting up there in years, but I had no problems. The new grommett/petcock is suppose to be mailed today?
Thanks for the tips on reassembly...........Irv
1989 Kitty Cat(son's)
1995 XLT Special(mine)
westbendcat

LEAK

Post by westbendcat »

for a quick fix, I used underwater JB Weld. It worked well for a Sunday fix. Purchased the JB weld at Wal Mart. Just seated it around the petcock to tank area and it has held up for over a year now...

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!
catattack racing

Post by catattack racing »

I had this problem as well. To fix it for good I took a 90 out of an old gas tank I had, screwed it in to the tank and istalled a shut off valve in between the tank and carb. Final fix to the fuel leaking each year.