We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Going to go for a new Suzuki

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Uglystick

Going to go for a new Suzuki

Post by Uglystick »

I broke down the old Kawi motor in my newly aquired 1972 kitty cat.

The seals are all shot and the cylinder pressure tested at 45 pis cold.

The coil and spark plug wire are in terrible shape.

I cleaned up the carb and it runs much smoother, but still rough, with oil leaking everywhere.

I am realy supprized that it runs at all. I am consedering going for a new suzuki motor.

I can get one new in the box for $450.oo. That is at least 200 more than what rebuilding this one will cost, but at least parts for the suzuki can be found. Also the suzuki drops right in.

Any thoughts???? What other motors do people use?? I have heard a lot about Honda powerplants.
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

Dantheman has successfully grafted a tecumseh snowblower motor into one of his kitty cats and it rips. He did a really professional looking job. But (no offense to Dan) personally I'd go for the Suzuki motor since it's a bolt in. Parts are easily procured at the dealer. Minimal headache for an engine swap. Plus, the suzuki motor is a better designed motor by far, made for longer rougher service (although it has less power). Believe me, I'm a macninist, welder, designer and self proclaimed gearhead. When I want more performance, I'll start modding the suzuki rather than put a tecumseh motor in there. :wink: ...but I could be wrong... :roll: