We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

'97 Kitty Cat Starting Problems

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Badlab1

'97 Kitty Cat Starting Problems

Post by Badlab1 »

Hey guys... I'm new to the sight and am very impressed with your knowledge. Hope you can send me in the right direction to start troubleshooting my kids sled.

For starters, it starts up great on the 1st or 2nd pull when it's cold. After bombing around the yard for an hour or so, she's still running strong. Not any noticable bog or power loss at all. Idles fine too. Here's where the problem is... After shutting it down, it does not want to start again till completely cooled down. I've choked it, not choked it and everything in between. The plug seems to be decent so I don't believe it's flooding out or loading up.

I have yet to check the compression cold vs. hot or anything else as far as that goes. Just looking for a little structured trouble shooting advice I guess.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined with 4-strokes, but am kind of new to this 2-cycle thing. Any help is greatly appreciated before I blow a lung trying to get her going again next time out!!! :lol:
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

before you pull the rope when it's hot do you give it WOT before you pull the rope??????....that helps start them were they are hot or 1/2 of WOT....hope this helps
Badlab1

Post by Badlab1 »

kidsperformance wrote:before you pull the rope when it's hot do you give it WOT before you pull the rope??????....that helps start them were they are hot or 1/2 of WOT....hope this helps

Yes, I think I've tried every conceivable combination of throttle postition and or choke position. No luck--Barely even a stumble.. I did receive a PM from someone on the site, and am going to check compression cold and hot 1st.. I'll post my compression readings after I find my tester. Thanks for your help!!!
Badlab1

Post by Badlab1 »

OK.. I'm back with some new findings. My old comp tester was lent out and never returned, so I had to buy a new one.
Anyways, I tested compression while motor was completely cold. 120 psi. Was going to start it and have my son run it around the yard for awhile and re-check compression, but now it won't even start cold. :x I pulled the plug back out and found it to be soaked with fuel. Cleaned it up, put it back in and still nothing. Pulled the plug back out again--soaked with fuel after 5 or six pulls of the rope. :evil: I hear a gurgling noise when I pull the rope without the spark plug in??? I did look into the cylinder and can see a slight scuff on the wall. Not a gouge--just a scuff. I am getting spark, although not what I would consider a very impressive one.
What's my next step guys??? Is it rebuild time??? All advise is greatly appreciated. My kid is super disappointed. I really don't want to cough up 5 bills for a new motor (only paid $700. for the Kitty), but am willing to do what ever it takes. Kids are only young once and I don't want to miss out on the memories.
Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Ray
kidsperformance

sounds like crankcase is full of fuel......if you leave the gas on and the needle and seat is worn a lil it will fill up your crankcase.....that may why it quits running also....it not shutting off the fuel when the float reach it proper height.....don't give up.....will have to put piston @ BDC and turn sled upside down and get the fuel out of the crankcase
Badlab1

Post by Badlab1 »

Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. It's pouring rain here in Rochester, NY--now we need snow too!!! Can anyone help with that also??? :lol:
Badlab1

Post by Badlab1 »

kidsperformance wrote:sounds like crankcase is full of fuel......if you leave the gas on and the needle and seat is worn a lil it will fill up your crankcase.....that may why it quits running also....it not shutting off the fuel when the float reach it proper height.....don't give up.....will have to put piston @ BDC and turn sled upside down and get the fuel out of the crankcase
I drained the crankcase of all the gasoline (Quite a bit). Pulled the carb off and apart, and yes the needle has some wear on it. Where do you guys recommend buying parts for these??? I found 1 at Country Cat for about $18.00. (Needle and seat) Sound about right??? I think I'll also order a new float assembly and gaskets for everything. I don't want to do this twice...
Badlab1

Post by Badlab1 »

Just found the Olsen Bros. web-site. Called, but they were closed. :( I'll try them back tomorrow before calling anyone else. :wink:
kidsperformance

I paided $17.00 from Fox dist.....so $18 is not out of line
Badlab1

Post by Badlab1 »

OK, thanks. Should I replace the float too?? Or, is that unnecessary? It's not cracked or anything, but looks like it was rubbing on the bottom side. (Small gouge on 1 corner.)
Badlab1

Post by Badlab1 »

New update... Put the carb back on the other day.. 2 pulls and vroooooom!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D She runs like a champ!!! Only had 1" of snow, so I could'nt let the kid run it too much. But, the few passes I let him take, seemed flawless. No stumble or bog. Shut her down and restarts just as easy!!! I'd like to thank all of you for your input--you definately know your Kitty's!!! Now that she's running good, I'm gonna order 1 of Dan's deep snow kits.. 8)
wienberg

Need a Deep Snow Lift Kit

Post by wienberg »

where can I get one?