We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Need help on a '72 Kitty Cat

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

berne1

Need help on a '72 Kitty Cat

Post by berne1 »

We got a '72 Kitty Cat from my wife's grandfather. She rode it when she was a kid but has been on their farm in Iowa ever since. We brought it up to MI this fall before their farm auction.

The Kitty Cat probably hasn't been run in 10 years or so (and that's a guess). I have no, and I mean NO, experience repairing anything mechanical, so I don't have a clue as to where to start. I tried last week to do some very minor things to get it running (just hoping it would start). It didn't. I replaced the spark plug but nobody has the NGK BR6HS recommended. I used the Champion equivalent but I think it needs more than that. I ordered the NGK because I read somewhere it works the best. Should have that in a couple days. When I pull the cord the engine just kind of turns, I don't know if that means it's getting no fuel or no spark, or something else.

OK, so does anybody have any suggestions on where to start? I have been reading I should rebuild the carburetor but I have NO idea how to do this. Do I take it apart & rebuild, or do I have to buy a kit with new parts? Or just buy new parts? Etc. Or I read somewhere else I should replace the points...I don't even know what points are but should I try this? Maybe replace the fuel line? I repeat, I know nothing about any of this stuff so it will be a learning experience. I would like to get it running for my kids to enjoy after our record snowfall we had here in Detroit over New Year's Eve.

Any help, suggestions, etc...would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

If you have no experience with working on engines, find a small engine mechanic that may be able to look at it for you. I would definitely clean the carb and lube the track boogies (wheels). Check/change the gear case oil. Lube the chain and drive shaft bearings. Basically go through everything. There's not a lot to these little sleds and you can pretty much disassemble one and put it back together in a day.