We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Ever heard of this????

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

t-dub13

Ever heard of this????

Post by t-dub13 »

Reading a story on Vintage sleds . com, I ran into a mention of someone raising compression in a motor by cutting a head gasket out of aluminum foil. Haaha! Sounds like a great idea as long as it seals, doesn't blow (melt) and the piston doesn't crash the head. You guys think this is just a vintage racing myth, or a great poor man's hop-up? :? :lol:
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

The Kaw motors have a very thick head gasket....plus the head is a total "hemi head"....If my memory serves me correctly I think the squish clearance was .110 So if the remove the head gasket, there still is a recessed cut into the head plus I think the edge of the piston still lacks about.020 that the piston stays in the cyl.....
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

what the heck am I posting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I reread your post and realized I don't even think you were takling about a kitty cats.....duh....even so "back in the day" as I remember as a kid some stuff back then was very crude. I know taking some vintage motors now and adjusting them to modern day standards a lil turns the motors to produce more power I'm hearing now......esp with pipes
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

BILL ROCKS!!!!!
KITTY CATS ROCK!
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

Yeah, but, I'm definitely going to look into it next time I pull a the little motor apart. I'm hoping that Suzuki's motors are all similar. I've built a sick JR motor,and if it's the same then I think I can definitely do the "aluminum foil poor-man's-compression-ratio-bump.!!!! It sounds too good (easy) to be true!!! :lol: 8)
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

Aluminum foil will work and copper foil works too. I have used the permatex copper seal without any type of gasket on small engines to "boost" the compression. Usually on a briggs when street racing mini-bikes or go carts as a kid. The thing is that it won't last very long. You'll need to redo it every 3-5 hours of run time and more if you are racing.
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

Interesting. I wonder why it doesn't last. I wonder that alloy the Aluminum foil is compared to an OEM aluminum head gasket. I can't imagine it has a temper, maybe it's too soft? :?
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

I think it has something to due with thermal expansion and contractions wearing out the seal or the combustion oxidizing/burning the material. Just a guess though.
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

Makes sense, iron cylinder and an aluminum head. Must need some thickness between them for the difference in thermal expansion. There's a lot more thermal mass in the cylinder to heat up too so the head grows a lot sooner and more. 8)