We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Gasoline in the exhaust pipe???

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

mike warren

Gasoline in the exhaust pipe???

Post by mike warren »

I just bought a 1986 Kitty for my three year old. I took it apart to clean it all up and noticed that there was fuel sitting on top of the motor just under the carb. I did not see any sign of the carb leaking, or the fuel line leaking at the carb. I also noticed that fuel was leaking out of what appeared to be the exhaust and leaving a spot on the garage floor.

I decided to pull the motor out to clean up the entire area so that I can try to pinpoint where exactly it is leaking.

Once the motor was I took the exhaust off to look at it and I realized that the muffler was about half full of fuel. Any thoughts???

I took the carb off and cleaned it as well as checked the float height. The float height appeared to be dead on and nothing appeared out of the ordinary. I didn't have a way to check the needle jet so it's possible that it is worn and letting a bit of fuel by.

The thing is that I always shut the fuel off when not riding so I am surprised that much fuel can get into the exhaust while it's running without it really hurting the performance.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Mike
1986 Kitty Cat
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

Sounds like the needle is leaking and the valve is not shutting off. I know the fuel shut off in mine did not work well when I got it. If you trailer a sled with fuel valve on, the vibration can cause fuel to leak by the needle and into the engine.
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

Yeah, and for the fuel to reach the exhaust, it's got to fill up the lower end first. You need to pull the sparkplug and drain the motor upside down. Turn the crank a few times to open up the transfer ports so the fuel can escape.
mike warren

Post by mike warren »

If there is gas in the lower end shouldn't it burn off once it's running?

Mike
1986 Kitty Cat
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

yes it will...once you get it started....but it will take a few pulls on the rope...long as you have the motor off take the carb off, turn the crank so the piston is at TDC and pour it out......then blow compressed air in there to dry out more of the fuel then you should be good to go.....Note: a good practice on these kitty cats is that after your child is done riding away shut off the gas valve on the tank :D :D :D