We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

What makes a "competitive" stock sled

Races where and when, also fine tune your Kitty Cat for the local track or back yard.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Razorsharp

What makes a "competitive" stock sled

Post by Razorsharp »

I am in WI and thinking of taking my 4 yr old to a race.

What do you need to do to make a sled competitive in the stock class? Do you need studs? Carbide wear rods?

Also, what can you modify and stay stock? Can I modify the clutch or exhaust?

Thanks!
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

CHECK OUT BILLS SITE
WWW.KIDSPERFORMANCE.NET

BILL ROCKS!!!!
KITTY CATS ROCK!
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

I suggest you take your child to a race 1st and let him watch(good to take mom along too....heck even grandpa and grandma) Talk to the officers of the club and some racers dads they are all very helpful....can't touch the motors or the clutches....Read my web site....you can remove the air box.....What I have written about the setting up a stock sled is the GOSPEL.... :D :D
snodaddy

Post by snodaddy »

I was wondering what year you have. This will depend on your set up. If you have one with the kawasaki engine you can only run in the improved kitty cat races, and to do that you need one year experience. Some places allow kawi engines in the amature kitty cat class. Let us know. Mr. Tripps advice is great, but there is more to do than just that.
Heacox Racing
kidsperformance

OMG..... :!: :!:
LeEarl

Post by LeEarl »

Why is everyone so 'secretive' about stock sled setups? It is not like the info is not out here and you will get it sooner or later. You can have a faster sled then the others and if your kids don't race hard you will not win. I have one of the fastest 120 in stock class but my daughter will not race it to the max. She wins all of her heats but not the finals. Just the way it is.......

I am a little worried about this as it makes us look like we do not want to help someone get a fair advantage. They still have to do the work and buy the parts if needed.

I think stock should be just that, STOCK....... I can tell you that the top sleds are not stock, but modified stock :wink: Taking all the grease out of the rollers along with other things do not make a stock sled to me, but you have to do this if you want to compete.....

If your son is 4 years old, just setup the sled the best you can with studs and carbides, disconnect the governor and let him run it. It is great to have that experience....
kidsperformance

When I wrote "how to set-up a stock sled" was way back in summer of 1991 after Lenny, Marty and I organized WKCR. I wrote the article to put in our program for when we did the snow show that fall. Since then the "open bearing" thing came along in about 1995...It went through ISR and * Gokey and they said it was ok....Kinda like the "adjustable limiting strap" I came up with for the Jr. Novice sleds back in 2000...When they found out about it they ran it through ISR again and tried to get it disallowed.....they failed...and it's still allowed....people don't realize how important chassis set-ups are. The open bearing thing I feel is no big thing....as long as everyone is allowed to do it....You could buy shielded bearings and still spray a lube into them.....I just never update the article because eventually people figure it out.....It just cover the basic's
LeEarl

Post by LeEarl »

You are right. I think it is great when people post info like yours on the web for new racers to find. There are many things to do to get the edge. Those that have the time or someone else to do it for them will win most every weekend. It is the cycle of racing.....

I just like to see my kids out there racing, but when they have no chance at winning it get a little tiresome. I do not put A LOT of time and money into my sleds (yet :wink: ) and my kids are still close. When they really want to put 100% effort in to the race then I will put 130% into their sleds.