We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Engine won't idle - is there risk in running?

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Razorsharp

Engine won't idle - is there risk in running?

Post by Razorsharp »

I've got a '94 KC and am rebuilding it after years of storage. The engine runs good, but won't idle down.

After searching the threads on this forum, I believe it is a seal leak. My question is; is there risk to the bearing if I run the engine with the seal leaking?

I haven't tested the seal yet to confirm my suspicion, any other thoughts as to what would cause the engine to run so fast? If I force the throttle closed, the engine dies. Somehow this just isn't making sense to me. Shouldn't the throttle be almost closed on its own?

Thanks in advance for your help. This forum is awesome.
I've got a 4 yr old boy who can't wait to ride the sled.
ttw_walman

Post by ttw_walman »

You could have a variety of problems. It could be a crank seal but i doubt it would be, due to the age, and by the fact that it is starting for you. Did you rebuild (clean ) your carburetor? Years of storage will wreak havok on your carb. You cold easily have some contamination in your needle valve-idle circuit. I would recommend some carb cleaner and compressed air. It works wonders If you did have a seal leak I would suspect that your plug would be white or gray.

Hope this may help,Let us know what you find
Razorsharp

Post by Razorsharp »

The plug is pretty dark from prior fouling ( I didn't put a new one in yet) but I wasn't comfortable running it for a long period so I don't think that's a good measure.

I did clean the carb out well. The idle jet and air screw should be the only adjustments for idle, correct?
Razorsharp

Post by Razorsharp »

Okay, I found one source of the problem. The throttle cable was out of adjustment holding the throttle partially open. Now it won't idle though and just dies. even if I adjust idle speed all the way up. I know the idle jet is clean. Could it be an air needle adjustment or just a likely blocked passage?

Also, I read the "check for seal leaks with starting fluid" advice, but how do you do that because you can't access it with the starter or gear box mounted? At any rate, I no longe think that's an issue.
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

if you spray starting fluid into the recoil housing while it is running, Trust me It will find its way in if you have bad seals.. you will be able to hear the RPM's go up.
Razorsharp

Post by Razorsharp »

Well I did and that didn't happen so I guess I'm OK. My question still stands though, won't a seal leak lead to bearing damage eventually?
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

Razorsharp wrote:My question still stands though, won't a seal leak lead to bearing damage eventually?
No, but it will go lean and damage the piston and cylinder.
jstoeckly

idle

Post by jstoeckly »

Sounds like you're close- have you check the govenor arm? The pinch blot can loosen & cause a rough Idle also. Spend some time w/ that adjustment. But I'd get some new seals too. $20 bucks @ Dennis Kirk.

& look out for that Harry-thinga-ma-doodle
Razorsharp

Post by Razorsharp »

I got her runnin good now. Replaced the idle jet and adjustment on the throttle cable. My throttle linkage has a solid link inside the spring from the butterfly to the governor arm? I can't figure out why. The governor inside the gearbox can still back down the RPM, so I don't think it's doing anything!

Comments?