We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Max RPM Stock Engine without governor

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

LeEarl

Max RPM Stock Engine without governor

Post by LeEarl »

I am getting my daughters Kitty Cat ready for this years race season. I was wondering if anyone knew what the max RPM a stock engine will do without the governor on. I had it tonight at 8800 RPM but it did not seem like it was winding out as most of the sleds did last year. So, what do you think the max RPM should be on one of these..... Even a ball park number for a starting point.

Thanks
LeEarl
kidsperformance

Max RPM Stock engine without governor

Post by kidsperformance »

Back in the day when my boys raced and I was doing data collection I could get a stk motor to rev anywhere from 10.4K to 11.3K with stock gearing racing ovals on pump gas when Amoco used to have good 89(silver) fuel..now it's junk...alot of variables depending how my boys drove....how much they bind up the chassis in the turns and alot of it was also ice conditions......hard ice....they flew......word of caution....If you haven't updated the rod in the motor and you sart twisting the motor,I don't care what oil you use you will burn up the lower rod.....If you are now turning 8800rpm....the rod and the crank might be just starting to discolor....On the dyno a stock motor made it's best power @ around 7000 rpm....you can get those engines to rev high,but the chassis has to be..........perfect......hope this helps.....Bill Tripp
LeEarl

Post by LeEarl »

I have the engines to rev up to 10,800 but it seems like I could get more out of it. I have the chassis as close to perfect as i can get. They are roling almost 100% free by hand and everything is measuered true. I am going to work on it a little more this weekend and we race next weekend. I am thinking of filming a video to show how to tune up these stock sleds so everyone that wants to know how can see it first hand.

Thanks for the help!

LeEarl