We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Why so many 72's?

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

MachJeff

Why so many 72's?

Post by MachJeff »

Is it just me, or does it seem odd that nearly every other question on this board is in reference to the '72 KC's? The kitty cat had a production run of about 25 years, and the only significant change was in 73, making the earlier parts obsolete. How many of those early sleds were produced compared to the newer ones? Because if you only looked on this board you'd think that 75% of the kitty's out there are the early models.
Amos

Post by Amos »

I agree. Is there anyway some one could find a break out on production for each year? I have a another queston about my 85. What works good to shine a Kitty. Are they painted or is it just black plastic? I tried using Back to Black. It worked OK but it doesn't cut the nasty film that's on the hood. THINK SNOW!
allen shores

Post by allen shores »

I'm guessing because you can get parts for the newer models. That's why I came here. I can't find parts for my 72.
Jonn

Kitty Cat History!!!!

Post by Jonn »

I'll see if I can get the actually numbers from Arctic Cat, but since our company has been working closely with Arctic Cat specifically on these Kitty Cats since the early 80s, I do have a little info.

In '71 there were approximately 50 KCs built. They're very hard to find and has a hood that's shaped like today's KC, but has the look of the King Cat. It is basically the same sled as the '72, but the different hood.

Since the '71s were received well, Arctic Cat made LOTS of '72 KCs expecting a huge volume of sales. Buy the time they realized that sales weren't as expected, they had already committed to building several '73s. So with a stock pile of KCs, Arctic Cat didn't build any KCs in '74, '75 or '76. 1977 was the next year Arctic Cat built KCs, but in far less numbers. Smaller numbers were produced each year from '77 to '99, with the exception of '82, '83 and '84 when Arctic Cat was in bankrupcy.

As for the hoods (and belly pans), they are made from a plastic injected mold from a company we work closely with in Minnesota. This has been the exact same company and process since at least 1972. I think the '71 was also plastic, but I don't recall for sure.

That's probably more than you ever needed to know, but hopefully you found it interesting.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
allen shores

Post by allen shores »

Where do the serial # start for 1972?
Amos

Post by Amos »

John
Hey thanks for the [b]GREAT INFO[/b]. I enjoyed the history leason. If you could get a break out on the production numbers that would be great. [b]Think Snow!!! [/b]
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Thats a great response John, I figgured there had to be an interesting answer. Basically the '72 was sold for like 4 years.