We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

ignition troubles

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

ignition troubles

Post by Guest »

I just got done replacing ignition side crank seal on my engine. It's a Suzuki Spirit out of a 1980. Engine had great spark before I ripped it apart. After I put it all back together, I lost spark. The only way I can see spark is if I take off the spark plug boot and hold the wire inside the cable against metal. It is very weak. The spark doesn't jump. Any ideas or is there a way to test the coils? Thanks
Jonn

Weak Spark

Post by Jonn »

Most likely if you had good spark before you took it apart, your coil is not bad. A common problem with weak spark is that the contacts between the coil and the magnets are bad. Sometimes the magnets pick up debris or there might be oil or grease on them. Since magnets lose there power over time it sometimes doesn't take much to cause a problem.

Another thing to check is the points. Make sure they are clean and have the proper gap.

I would start with these two things first as it might be simple and save you some money.

If you do find that you need a coil or points, let me know. I believe I have both parts brand new and in stock.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
caseyzr

Same problem

Post by caseyzr »

I have the same problem with mine I am putting a new seal in mine and now my spark is realy irregular. I was told that it got dirty and that I should spray it out with contact cleaner. I have not tryed it yet so if it works for you would you let me know? THANKS
AL

Post by AL »

Weak spark... if you know the coil is good disconnect the kill switch and key switch from the wire harness. If still weak spark clean the points and look for carbon build up and pitting. If points are clean and look good it's most likely the condensor.
Good luck.