We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

clutch removal

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

simmerkc

clutch removal

Post by simmerkc »

I removed the bolt , I canot get the clutch off. I used a 2 jaw puller a 1/8 steel plate and 3/8 aluminum plate to support the clutch . I soaked the clutch and shaft with oil for 2 days. As I tighten the puller I tap it with a hammer. Both plates are now bent and bent the outside of the clutch. I only wanted to replace the crank seals, now I might need a clutch. Thanks
simmerkc

Post by simmerkc »

I used heat and got the collar off, still working to get the clutch off.
jdehler

Post by jdehler »

Did you loosen the allen screw on the clutch?
simmerkc

Post by simmerkc »

I looked for a set screw before I put a puller on it. Did not find one.It is a 1972. Is it somewhere inside the clutch? Please tell me where the set screw is. Thanks
jdehler

Post by jdehler »

I have not scene a 72 w/ the kawasaki motor. On a 78 w/ the suzuki there is a set screw on the clutch that sets againsted the shaft. It is easy to see. Maybe the older ones do not have one.
simmerkc

Post by simmerkc »

I got it off, with heat,wax and oil.I used a large 3 jaw puller. It pulled the outside of the clutch off . I cut down the keyway without damaging the output shaft.I used a screwdriver to split the collar and pry it off. I polished the output shaft and ordered a new clutch and seal kit from Olson Brothers. Thank you for your input.
jdehler

Post by jdehler »

I am glad you got it off. I was just going to write you about a clutch I had a hard time getting off. I too had to use a gear puller. I had to pull the clutch off as far as it would go, oil the shaft, push it back on and try again. After three times it finally came off. Then I polished the shaft and greased it before I replaced the clutch. I could not believe how stuck this one was because it is a much newer one than yours was. Sounds like yours was pretty bad.
Jonn

Removing a stuck clutch

Post by Jonn »

Sorry I didn't see this question earlier. For anyone else having this problem, here's a last resort option.

Tech Tip: If you have a KC clutch that won't come off and you know you'll need to replace the clutch anyway, use a dremel or die-grinder and CAREFULLY grind a groove in the collar of the clutch. Use a chisel or screwdriver to split the collar off the output shaft. This is sometimes the only way to get the old clutch off, especially on older models.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296