We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Cracked Hood

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Travolta

Cracked Hood

Post by Travolta »

My sons hood has cracks on both sides of the hinges on the front. It was bought this way. I thought I could fix it with fibreglass but it didnt hold up.
Could some one give me some advice as what to use? I dont want to drill and put a plate in behind if I dont have to.

Thanks ahead of time! :?
dantheman

fix

Post by dantheman »

i riveted a piece of aluminum piano hinge all the way across on the inside
you cant even see it, put the hinge on the inside and rivet it from the outside so you are riveting into the hinge not the plastic
i used a piece that was 2" wide when open

dan
sledgirl

Hood repair

Post by sledgirl »

My dad found a new hood sitting on top a garbage can in a residential back alley, and picked it up for us. An offering from the sled gods.
Hal-Bent

cracked hood

Post by Hal-Bent »

If you have all the parts. Take a soldering iron from the back side and melt both sides of the crack and then fold them back together. I have done this a lot, one sled has 3 years and 2 owners and has not cracked again.
Jonn

KC hood

Post by Jonn »

Travolta:

If you want to save yourself some time and aggrevation, I have brand new OEM hoods in stock for $89.95.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
sledbumb

cracked hood

Post by sledbumb »

Hal is right, I was sort of goofing around and used a propane torch to gingerly fan and soften the crack and used a blk. wire tie as a "welding" rod" believe it or not its been holding well over a year. good luck
greg