We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Project Nearly Complete

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

MachJeff

Project Nearly Complete

Post by MachJeff »

So I've been around here since last summer and have gotten a lot of good information, so I would like to thank everyone who keeps coming back to help out. Here are some pics of our former kitty cat now that it is nearing substantial completion.
We bought it last summer for a song because it was pretty rough, but it did run. I completely tore it down and built it back up, mostly just cleaning, straightnening and painting everything. It is still the same hood and belly pan, I just added some fresh tin and a lot of rivets, fibreglass and bondo. New seat by a local upholstry shop. I did the decals on the computer myself and had them printed at a local sign shop. Cleaned the engine, retapped a few stripped bolts, put a few gaskets in the carb, and she runs like a top now.
Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/ ... eforea.jpg
Now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/ ... Aftera.jpg
The reason for the choice of paint and decals. My son loves it. He is just over 2 1/2 and has started driving it a bit by himself (with me holding a rope tied to the bumper). However after a lap or two around the block, he would rather ride on the big one. And I have to fight him for the throttle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/ ... redone.jpg

Still to work on... I need to make a mount for a headlight and install that. I am going to make a front and rear lift kit and put that in probably this summer. It still has no recoil (bought it that way), I start it with a rope around the flywheel, so when I save up I'll get one of those. The track is pretty rough too, but I'll wait untill this one falls off.

One great tip I learned - On this sled the muffler does not quite reach all the way through the belly pan so you'd get exhaust under the hood, making everything greasy and your kid smelly. A 1/2" copper union (plumbing fitting) fits on real nice and tight and gets all the exhaust under the sled.
Thanks for listening to my blog, and thank those who helped with information. If you have any questions or comments, feel free....
Last edited by MachJeff on February 14th, 2006, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Okay, I'm sure the links are done right, but the pictures aren't showing here for me. If anyone can tell me how to fix it that would be great. Other wise you can copy the URL to the address bar and see them. Or I'll just delete this thread and start over.
Sorry.
jstoeckly

pretty neat!!

Post by jstoeckly »

Mach that's some great work , & I looked @ the one of just the KC & thought WTF but then seeing the two next to each other - NEATER Than all get out!!
Don't copy the entire line - leave the IMG t & the brackets out & it'llrk!!
again NICE JOB!!
Jim
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Thanks for the compliment. It turned out really good, I just hope my boys appreciate having a pink sled as much as I do. Hopefully it'll teach them some humility. Besides, who would tease them, not that many 2-year olds have their own snowmobile. And if they do, I just have to make sure the pink one is faster. That always stoped the jokes for me. Eventually I can repaint it, I just couldn't bring myself to make it an MXZ, too many of those around as it is.
I also changed the original post so the images show up as links. I dont know why the pictures wont show up in the post, we used to be able to do that.
dantheman

sled

Post by dantheman »

looks great man, nice job
Jonn

Post by Jonn »

MachJeff:

That is one sweet KC, especially next to the big sled. Very nice job on the decals.

If you're looking for a headlight, give me a call. I have a couple choices for you and I think I can help you out pretty good on cost. If you call, just make sure you remind me that your MachJeff.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

For now my plan with the light is to fab my own in a mount that comes through the windshield and not cover up the front grille so it is more like the big one. If it doesnt work out I may be in touch with you for a light and a windshield.
What I may seriously have to call you about this summer is a recoil assembly. It is getting frustrating wrapping the rope around the flywheel when others are watching.
Thanks for the compliments.
Jeff