Yes, We're still open for business! Talk about your kid-sized snowmachines today...

Kitty won’t start warm

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, snowmobilejack

Mslvkitty

Kitty won’t start warm

Post by Mslvkitty »

Runs great but after running 1/2 hr or so bogs out and quits and won’t restart
stephen79

Re: Kitty won’t start warm

Post by stephen79 »

Best way to find this kind of problem in a small snowmobile is good old fashion troubleshooting. Here are some steps to help diagnose the issue:

Start by Checking the Basics: Ensure you have enough fuel, the kill switch is in the correct position and not stuck. I know this sounds ridiculous but it only takes a second to scan your basics.

Check for Spark: When the engine won't start, check if there is a spark at the spark plug. I always go to the electrical system first because when things get hot under the hood, connections can become sloppy.

Inspect Fuel Flow: Ensure fuel is reaching the engine by checking the fuel lines and carburetor. It's next in the line of suggestions, I guess.

Test Electrical Components: Use a multimeter to test the ignition coil, the CDI if it has one, and other electrical components. Coils getting hot sometimes open yet they still function like they are supposed to when they cool down. This is a common problem in snowmobiles especially older ones.

Look for Overheating Components: You can use a contactless thermometer to scan the various components of the engine compartment to see if they are excessively hot. These things are cheap now and you can get them on Amazon, Ebay or at Harbor Freight.

Hopefully that helps you out.
ziggster

Post by ziggster »

Engines expand when warm and that's a fact. You can also check your compression cold and then check it again warm.

Low engine compression is usually due to worn piston rings or head gasket. Perform a compression test to check the engine’s compression. If compression is low, the engine may require a rebuild, new gaskets, or more specific repairs. It's definitely worth a look.
yland70

Post by yland70 »

A tough on to track down is vapor lock. It happens when the fuel in the carburetor or fuel lines vaporizes due to excessive heat, preventing proper fuel delivery. Just make sure the fuel lines are not too close to hot engine components, that's really all you can do with if this is the problem.

I think some of the fuel additives claim to help prevent vapor lock also. And one last thing to try is to use non-ethanol gas in your snowmobile. These engines were designed long before there was ethanol added to the gas and ethanol is notorious for vaporizing at lower temperatures. As a matter of fact I would try the non-ethanol gas before experimenting with fuel additives.