We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Old Kawasaki Versus Old Suzuki Engine

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

brokerjo

Old Kawasaki Versus Old Suzuki Engine

Post by brokerjo »

many moons ago Kitty Cats switched from Kawasaki to Suzuki engines, but I couldn't find the specific reason anywhere.

Comparing old Kawasaki snowmobile engines to old Suzuki snowmobile engines is difficult as it depends on the specific models and their respective characteristics. However, here are some general differences between the two brands:

Kawasaki snowmobile engines were known for their power and speed. In the 1970s and 1980s, Kawasaki produced some of the most powerful snowmobile engines on the market, such as the Kawasaki Invader and the Kawasaki Intruder. These engines had high horsepower and torque, making them ideal for high-performance snowmobiles.

On the other hand, Suzuki snowmobile engines were known for their reliability and durability. Suzuki produced engines that were built to last and could withstand harsh winter conditions. Suzuki snowmobile engines were also known for their fuel efficiency and low emissions, making them a popular choice for those looking for a more eco-friendly snowmobile engine.

Overall, both Kawasaki and Suzuki snowmobile engines have their strengths and weaknesses. I wonder if Arctic Cat switched engine manufacturers purely for financial reasons.
snowmobilejack

Re: Old Kawasaki Versus Old Suzuki Engine

Post by snowmobilejack »

Never thought about reason for the switch from Kawasaki motors, but I stumbled on a good article about dropping the Suzuki snowmobile engines in favor of making their own snowmobile engines.

Goodbye Suzuki Engines
ziggster

Re: Old Kawasaki Versus Old Suzuki Engine

Post by ziggster »

The way I understood it, Arctic Cat's decision to change engine manufacturers from Kawasaki to Suzuki was influenced by a couple of factors, including business considerations, technological advancements, and market dynamics.

I'm sure money had something to do with it also. Arctic Cat's partnership with Suzuki allowed them to leverage Suzuki's engineering expertise and resources in developing new snowmobile engines. This partnership provided Arctic Cat with the opportunity to offer innovative and improved engine options to their customers.

While Arctic Cat's switch from Kawasaki to Suzuki for snowmobile engines was a significant move, it was just one example of the many strategic decisions that Cat made to remain competitive. I'm pretty sure it was not because Suzuki was a better engine.