We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Track / Wheels Question 98 Kitty

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

NHmountainman

Track / Wheels Question 98 Kitty

Post by NHmountainman »

So I've got the Kitty back from the shop it runs great and everything is all adjusted and lubricated...except for one thing...

I had the back end off the ground and noticed that when I run it, the front set and middle set of wheels don't roll freely. In fact, when I move them by hand, they barely move. I losened the bolts that hold the wheels and retightened them to check for overtightening.

Is this condition normal? Should I take the shaft off and grease it? Is that possible? Why the heck didn't my shop adjust the wheels? I figure the wheels will roll with a rider under power, but I wish it moved freely...as usual, your assitance is appreciated...
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

You should remove the undercarriage, take it apart and lube it up real good.. this should be done every year and check them out during the season.. it can make the difference of a few miles and hour
laager

rollers

Post by laager »

The best way to cure your problem if grease fails to free them, is to replace the wheels. I have good used ones for sale. I also have the two rear idler wheels for the skidframe ( these spin better than any I've ever had).

laagerracing@wiktel.com

Post by Guest »

So it would appear that these wheels should roll freely...right? So how do I remove them? Is just as simple as removing the bolts and pulling out the wheels and sleeves and cleaning and lubing them? Your help is greatly appreciated!
laagerracing

Post by laagerracing »

Remove the skid frame and pull the wheels and spacers out. The wheels are just slid onto the shafts. Sometimes they are rusted on and it takes some doing to remove the wheels.The older skid frames had wheels with bearings.
50 cents

wheel removal

Post by 50 cents »

Do a search for bogies & shafts, you should find it - takes a little elbow grease - depending on how big you elbows are....

viewtopic.php?t=491
Fish

Post by Fish »

Sometimes the shaft will get rusty and lock up the wheels. Just take them off and clean up the shaft. On later models the wheels do not have any bearings or even inner seals of any sorts, they can just be cleaned up. Just be sure to put the spacers and washers back on in the proper order. A little lube during re-assembly and you should be all set.

Post by Guest »

It would be in your best interest to do this little bit of maintenance each year. It takes maybe an hour to pull the 6 bolts out, take things apart wipe them down regrease and reassemble. Most of your corrosion will take place if put away wet for the summer. As with the rest of my sleds a thorough cleaning, drying, and greasing is performed in early spring and then everything is ready to ROLL next winter!
Jonn

Bogie kit

Post by Jonn »

Fall 2006 I will be offering a bearing bogie wheel kit. This will replace all the bogies and spacers and give other tips on making the KC roll better.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296