We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Tecumseh carb will fit Kitty Cat snowmobiles, neat trick!!

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Dave

Tecumseh carb will fit Kitty Cat snowmobiles, neat trick!!

Post by Dave »

Here's an easy fix for your older Kitty Cat, especially those with the Kawasaki engine, where no parts are available. Carb failures are common on these older models. My small engine man suggested using a Tecumseh carb, like the type used on 7 or 8hp Ariens or similar snowblowers using the Tecumseh engine. I put a carb from a 7hp Ariens snowblower on my 1972 Kitty Cat. The Tecumseh gaskets did fit. The bolt spacing had to be modified a little bit on the carb, by a little filing with a round file. The engine likes to run with the low speed jet (the side one) set at 1/2 or 5/8 turns out. Adjust the high speed jet (on the bottom of the float bowl), until the engine runs good at high speed. My kitty cat runs great with this carb, and I couldn't be happier. The original linkage from the governor does work, just experiment with the holes on top of the carb till one works. That's all there is to it, a cheap and easy fix!
axt111

sounds great

Post by axt111 »

I have tried most everything else...I will give this a shot this week. thanks
Dave

Tecumseh carb

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the tip..........it works!!!!! runs like a sewing machine
A little scrounging= one carb
A little filing = one rat tailed file [ only jabbed my finger once]
A little dab = gasket eliminator
A little manipulation= one pair of neddle nose pliers

And VAVOOM!!!!
Regards Dave
Dave

From Dave to Dave

Post by Dave »

Just to clairify there are two Daves on this thread I'm the second Dave
who used the first Dave's advice.

So thanks again Dave #2
axt111

It worked

Post by axt111 »

I am also a Dave...and this trick worked well. I bought one off ebay..the one I have dosnt have any adjustments..and has a primer built into it (the primer dosnt work well. I Just blow in the tank and fire it right up. I think I will put a squeeze ball in line, just hant done it yet. It is fantastic watcing my 7yr old and 5 yr old running the exact same 1974 kitty kat I ran when I was their age. Thanks for the tip..My girls thank you to!! Dave A.
DAVE.....C

NOW TRY TO STOP THEM

Post by DAVE.....C »

NOW THAT I GOT THE 72 KITTY KAT RUNNING, I HAD TO FIGURE A WAY
TO STOP THE MACHINE.......YEAH I KNOW THE BRAKE BUT THESE ARE 7 AND 8 YEAR OLDS THEY KNOW WHERE THE GAS IS BUT THE BRAKE?.......
MY BROTHER IN LAW AND I CAME UP WITH A SOLUTION AND IT'S PRETTY COOL WE HOOKED UP A REMOTE CAR STARTER TO THE KILL SWITCH........POWERED IT WITH TWO 6 VOLT LANTERN BATTERYS BUNDLED TOGETHER IN A SMALL BAG, BUNGIED IT TO THE CONSOLE..........AND WHEN JR IS OUT OF CONTROL OR HEADED STRAIGHT FOR THE ICE SHACK I HIT THE REMOTE START BUTTON
AND INSTANTLY KILL THE ENGINE! THEN GO OVER TO THE MACHINE
CYCLE THE SWITCH AND IT RESETS THE REMOTE MODULE ,AND AWAY WE GO AGAIN.
troy

carb

Post by troy »

did you eliminate the spacer because the carb bowl hits the motor? thanks troy
Dave (the original)

carb bowl hits motor

Post by Dave (the original) »

Troy,
Yes, depending on the particular carb, the bowl will hit the motor base. I used the spacer from the snowblower where I salvaged the carb. I had to remove the studs from the Kitty motor and use longer bolts to mount the carb. You can use any combination of spacer(s) as long as you use gaskets between each, which are easy to get for the tecumseh carbs. The bolt length is the only consideration. Good luck, Dave.
Old School

Post by Old School »

I just got done putting a Tecumseh carb on my 72 kitty cat that came off a 7 or 8 hp motor. And I'll be dammed, it has never ran so good!!! I like that you can adjust the high speed jet. I had to make a 1/4" spacer along with the factory spacer and add longer studs so the bowl didnt hit the motor. I also spot welded a washer on top of the throttle and drilled a hole for the linkage. With a little work even the air cleaner fits.

So thank you Dave!!!!!! Another Cat Saved, 9 lives :lol:
Last edited by Old School on December 31st, 2005, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
dantheman

carb trick

Post by dantheman »

i have another trick, why not install the whole techumpseh engine,
take a look at these pics , when the susucki engine took a crap i ordered an hsk 139cc techumpseh engine and put that instead, i will post some better pictures later this week as i just got done with it and man does this thing scoot
http://spaces.msn.com/members/KITTYMOD/

dan
Doug

Model number on the Carb you used?

Post by Doug »

Dave,

Do you have the model number on the carb you used?
Fern

Re: Tecumseh carb will fit Kitty Cat snowmobiles, neat trick!!

Post by Fern »

What is the model number of the carb you used for the 1972 kitty cat
gogosled

Re: Tecumseh carb will fit Kitty Cat snowmobiles, neat trick!!

Post by gogosled »

I'm also wondering about carb part numbers. Do you just buy the carb by size or spec? or is there a specific part number?

You can search Tecumseh carbs on eBay but it's just a general list, some are listed by HP and some are listed by their application (snowblower, lawn mover, etc)

Here's the Tecumseh carbs showing on eBay