We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Runs great cold - bogs warm

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Les

Runs great cold - bogs warm

Post by Les »

I have a '92 Kitty Cat that I just picked up for my son. It runs great and seems to have good power when the engine is cold. Once it is used for 10 minutes or so, it bogs down. I can lift the track, run it wide open to clear it out and then it will run fine again but only for a couple minutes. It idles fine but does not have enough power to get him going. If I push him a little it really won't pick up speed it just slowly chugs along.
Any ideas?
I have not actually bought it yet and I would like to figure out this bogging before I do. I am thinking clutch? The carb is clean and fuel is new with a 50-1 mix.
Thanks
Les
craig

kat bogs

Post by craig »

I think you should check your engine compression, it sounds like when
its cold it's all good, when it warms up under a load it loose's its gut's.
Check your copression cold when hot you need to be over 100 psi.
Les

Kat bogs

Post by Les »

I checked the compression. Cold it was only at 80 lbs. Warm as lower yet...71lbs. I took the head and cylinder off and it looks like it was leaking at the base gasket and the piston and rings have quite a bit of scoring on the exhaust side it so I will replace the piston, rings and hone the cylinder. So it looks like I found the problem. Is there anything else I should be looking at while it is all apart?
I was also wondering if you know how much to torque down the head bolts.
Thanks for your help!
Les
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

I know what your problem is. I have a '72 that does the same thing. The problem is your carbuerator isn't getting fuel fast enough. I know a couple guys who put a vacuum fuel pump and a 18mm Mikuni carb on. That does the trick, but costs like $130. I'm gonna try just putting a fuel pump on and keep the stock carb. If that doesn't work, I'm going to buy the Mikuni carb. Hope it helps.
Les

Kat Bogs - Fixed

Post by Les »

Just thought I would follow up this thread and let everyone know that it is fixed. I replaced the piston and rings (cylinder honed) and all gaskets. Now it runs excellent. Compression is at 110 warm, has lots of power and no more bogging.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Rev Ronnie

scored cyl.

Post by Rev Ronnie »

I think about re-jetting that thing. It scored the piston for a reason, and you have fixed the damage but not the problem. Scoring on the exhaust side is a sign that the engine is running lean. the stock jets are too lean for the cold weather, they need to be changed seasonally if you run it year round.

The Mikuni is the best way to go. here's what it looks like. Ron

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/s ... adid=48308
Les

Post by Les »

I think you may be right as I have been watching the plug and it is not oily or dirty at all. It is light tan. Where would I get a fatter jet? Dealer? What # should I go with? Once my son is older, I might think of changing the carb but for now it's got all the speed that I want him to have.
Thanks
Les
Rev. Ronnie

Post by Rev. Ronnie »

Any dealer thet stocks Mikuni stuff would have them, I think thats the jets I used with the stock carb. I'll go through my stuff and see what I have.
kiwidad

Mikuni carb & air cleaner

Post by kiwidad »

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy an 18mm Mikuni carb and air cleaner for a '73 Kawasaki ?
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

If you are going to do a 18mm Mikuni conversion- e-mail me. I have a tip for you that you do not need to order the carb.
Curt_gagas@hotmail.com
Curtis
laagerracing

Re: Mikuni carb & air cleaner

Post by laagerracing »

[quote="kiwidad"]Does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy an 18mm Mikuni carb and air cleaner for a '73 Kawasaki ?[/quote]

If you need an 18mm carb I have them in stock. I also have another carb that works really well on Kawasaki motors.

laagerracing@wiktel.com
cylinder heads

cylinder heads

Post by cylinder heads »

[url=http://*/s-cylinder-heads.html]cylinder heads[/url][url=http://*/s-mens-swimwear.html]mens swimwear[/url]