We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

72 Kawasaki coil

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Gordy

72 Kawasaki coil

Post by Gordy »

Sooo what do you all do when you need a replacement coil on theses Kawasaki engines t1a version?

Rewind them, or is there a cross reference replacement. Can’t believe I hit a brick wall with the coil. I have this thing near new condition......
Gordy

Re: 72 Kawasaki coil

Post by Gordy »

I here Crickets.... common fellas!
mojosledder

Post by mojosledder »

I hate to say it but have you looked on eBay for one?
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Monitoring eBay everyday. There is a Kawasaki B style motor for sale which supposedly ran. It has the coil, but that coil is not usable in the A style motor. Or is it. I know through Olson Brothers for a cdi conversion you must state A, or B style Kawasaki. Not sure if this is for mounting purposes, or a difference in coils.

Still not real sure if the coil I have is bad. I get 5800 ohms plug to ground. Again through Olson Brothers they say that’s with in exceptable limits. However they don’t tell you how to test the coil. On some posts here that’s just the secondary coil, and there is a primary. I tested core to condenser wire with condenser wire disconnected, and get 0 ohms. Core to ground is about .7.

When turning it over I get a yellow spark from condenser wire to ground.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

Another thing on the coil for the A style Kawasaki motor. I noticed on the magneto Parts diagram that the coil appears to have the plug wire, and the kill switch wire installed on the coil itself.

On mine the kill switch wire goes direct to the wire off the condenser which is mounted on the coil core via screw. So at that point there is the kill switch wire soldered to the condenser wire, Is this correct?

Since someone else owned this I have no way of knowing whether, or not this was the way it came from factory.
Wankel 1

Post by Wankel 1 »

I have a new coil and also a used coil for the A motor. They are impossible to find and not cheap, PM me if interested. I have new piston and rings, cylinders, points, condensers and maybe a few other parts.
Gordy

Post by Gordy »

How do I pm you?