We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Increased HP

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

jasonfoit

Increased HP

Post by jasonfoit »

I have a 1972 Kitty Cat with the Kaw 60cc engine. I was wondering what is the easiest engine I could buy and swap out this one so I can get a lot more power.
Also with the engine I have is there a way to increase it's horsepower, I read some where that this engine is set to only go 8mph?

I have been into motocross all my life and have various different size motors laying around but do not know if these type of motors are good for these snowmobiles or if just a little 5hp or so go-cart engine would be best. I do not want to put toooo much time and money into this project just want to get it going a lot better.

thanks
jasonfoit

c'mon

Post by jasonfoit »

Someone out there has to be able to answer the above question.

I did some probing on my own and found engine schematics, and there appears to be only one governor. I suppose all I have to do is remove this item and the engine should respond a little better, i think I am also going to put a 22mm carb on it and see if I can tune that in.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
dave

Post by dave »

you can put a 18 mm carb on and port the cylinder yourself with a dremil and carbide grinding tip, open the intake, and exh ports more and open the transfer ports to also mill the head down some

Dave
jasonfoit

Post by jasonfoit »

ok that is easy enough. And as far as the governer goes am i correct that all I need to do is remove it?
dave

Post by dave »

that is what i did took the gear cover off and removed the govener

dave
Roger

Post by Roger »

You have to gear it too. My daughters with just an 18mm on it and geared did 20mph on a radar gun. I still have a 5hp (at 2800rpm)techumseh 2cycle that I'm going to put in one. Can find these cheap and with electric start. Need to fab a motor mount. Will fit under the hood easily, about the same size as a kitty.
jasonfoit

Post by jasonfoit »

What is the optimum gearing for the front and rear? What I have on there now I believe is stock

Post by Guest »

Also could someone tell me where I could get an oversized piston for a 72 kitty kat. I am thinking about having it bored out.
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

Parts for the older Kawasaki motors are hard to come by.. Get your self a suzuki motor if you are going to modify it. good luck finding any pistons or parts for the Kawi motors $$$$$$