We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

72 kitty brake

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

vipr_rider

72 kitty brake

Post by vipr_rider »

wheres the best place to get a decent priced brake band for the kittys?

brake band

Post by guest »

ebay, Make sure you check the box to search title & descrip. spell AC Arctic cat & artic cat..Kitty cat etc.
Gd luck.

Brake Band

Post by Guest »

I got one from a go cart / Minibike place and made it fit. It was wider than the original. I had to drill a hole on one end and bolt it to the band holder. It came with the pin and new cable. It works fine.

However I noticed that may not need the brake. When they let off the gas it slows down pretty fast.

I think I paid $15.00 for the band, pin, lock nut and cable.

Try a search on go kart or minibike brake band ebay or google.

I wish I had a picture of the set-up because it was pretty easy to do and it's a lot bigger/wider brake band. It really stops the sled.
Jonn

KC Brake Band

Post by Jonn »

There are two very good OEM choices. I carry new OEM brake bands in stock for $24.95. Arctic Cat also has a replacement kit for the 1972 Kitty Cat. It comes complete with everything for the entire brake system including the bracket, band, cable, chain tensioner, all the bolts, nuts and pins and much more. There are dozens of parts that come in this kit. I also have these kits in stock.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
Vinman

Brake

Post by Vinman »

Just curious...Could the band be relined??? I did this years ago on a Cushman Scooter for the clutch, but don't recall how we bonded the liner to the plate.

Also Jonn how much for the chain tensioner alone??? The one I have is grooved 3/4 of the way through. The spring and everything else is fine.
Jonn

Brake tensioner

Post by Jonn »

The brake tensioner (plastic puck) is $4.65. If that's all you need, call me and I'll just put it in the US mail at the first class rate. The total will probably be about $5.00 including shipping.

As for relining the band, I'm sure you could do it with the right adhesive. When we've re-adhered linings to metal surfaces in the past we used the adhesive for vehicle brake linings. There are different products out there but we bought lining adhesive for heavy equipment such as dump trucks. That stuff never lets go. You should be able to find something at your local auto parts store.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296