We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Hard to start; won't idle

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

winslowd

Hard to start; won't idle

Post by winslowd »

Does anyone have any suggestions? I just bought a 77' kitty for my son. I put in a new pilot jet, cleaned the carb , new plug and etc. Can't hardly get it to start. Its firing almost every time but won't run. Plug seems to have plenty of spark. I have gotten it to run a couple of times and it does rev up fine; but does seem to be running real rich. You can run it and get it good and warm; then it won't start again. Fires but won't run. I put in a 32:1 synthetic mix. Do you think it is the crank seals? Where should I start?

Denver
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

Is it a Kawasaki engine or a Suzki? .. If it is a Kawi motor.. it probably needs Crank Seals. how is the Compression.. throw a gauge on it and check.. they start hard when they dont have enough squeeze. I dont run my mixture as Fat as 32:1 I like 40 or even 50 as long as you use good synthetic oil. You dont need to fog for mosquitos in the winter, just beware if you have the governor off and your kid likes to give it the Manchurian death grip for extended periods.. then fatten it up a little.. if I were to guess from what you said.. iA.) Kawasaki engine: it needs crank seals.. B.) Suzuki motor: Iit probably has low compression.. check it out, let me know if it is a Kaw motor and I can tell you how to check for bad seal.. .KO
winslowd

Post by winslowd »

It is a Suzuki, I'll check the compression. Maybe it needs a piston and rings. What should the compression be at 6000 feet? Thanks for your help.

Denver
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

Kawasaki Engine:
Motorcycle Pressure Gauge (direct to cylinder) 140 - 150
Standard Pressure Gauge (rubber hose type) 120 - 130

Suzuki Engine:
Motorcycle Pressure Gauge (direct to cylinder) 145 - 155
Standard Pressure Gauge (rubber hose type) 125 - 135

These engines will typically run with approximate 95psi or more, but not very well.

When you check the pressure: 1) install the gauge; 2) hold throttle wide open; 3) pull starter quickly 3 to 5 times; 4) che
Jonn

Is it seals?

Post by Jonn »

The way to check for bad seals is as follows:

Obviously if you see leakage around the crank ends you have a bad seal. Otherwise, you can do the following test.

While the engine is running at the lowest RPM without dying and the hood open, just LIGHTLY spritz a little starting fluid in one of the vent holes in the recoil shroud. You can do the same on the clutch side. If you notice the engine RPMs go up, you have a bad crank seal.

WARNING: Don't use but a quick squirt and be cautious of a flash-back of the starter fluid if there are any sparks in the area. Especially if your running a points engine.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296