We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Oil to fuel ratio?

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

trdehmer

Oil to fuel ratio?

Post by trdehmer »

I have a 72/73 Kitty Cat. What is the recommended oil/fuel ratio??

Thanks!
steve0

Post by steve0 »

Looks like 50:1 would do the trick:

viewtopic.php?t=1791&highlight=mix
snow

Re: Oil to fuel ratio?

Post by snow »

25 to 1oil to gas
Jonn

Post by Jonn »

Let me explain about gas/oil ratios. The correct ratio is 50:1, but I always run 40:1 or so to be safe.

One of my customers work for a testing lab where they annually test racing oils and I learned a lot from him, including why Arctic Cat had so many different gas/oil ratios for Kitty Cats over the years.

The early 70s kitty cats called for 23:1, then as time went on they called for 25:1, 32:1, 40:1, and then finally 50:1. When I said the Arctic Cat engineers were nuts for having so many ratios he laughed and explained that the quality of oil mixtures have gotten so good over the years that it takes less percentage of todays oil to provide the same lubrication value as lots of oil from the 70s.

He explained that if you purchase a good quality 2-stroke oil now days you can run 50:1, especially in light of the fact that Arctic Cat installed a #72.5 main jet that already runs the engine rich. I personally have still mixed my gas somewhere between 40;1 and 50:1.

I hope this helps those in need to not foul out your Kitty Cats. ;-)

Jonn (Olson Brothers)
earl

Post by earl »

nice clear explanation thanks