We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Better engine alternative.. 2.5hp OHV

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

c'mon man

Post by 72 »

There are people waiting............any progress,pics,vids, results? Need help? You know how to get ahold of me.
MDMANIAC

Post by MDMANIAC »

I've got my predator going on the 72 Kitty Cat...

Just off idle this thing moves right along, the 11T is def way too much, looking into changing the rear sprocket for a smaller one so it has more torque and way less top end.

Lots of little kinks to work out with this motor, air filter/jetting, exhaust, fuel tank setup, mount plate.

Motor seems to be somewhat tempermental and really needs to be jetted up from stock to make it run, even in 50deg temps.

Otherwise will work out well with some small changes here and there...

Post by 72 »

Any pics to share MD?
929rog

Post by 929rog »

You need to go bigger on back sprocket to slow it down or smaller on front. smallest you can go on front is 10t but that will make a big difference. Biggest one I can find for the back is stock. Might be able to have one made but it will be real close to the running board.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

929rog wrote:You need to go bigger on back sprocket to slow it down or smaller on front. smallest you can go on front is 10t but that will make a big difference. Biggest one I can find for the back is stock. Might be able to have one made but it will be real close to the running board.
OK guys I put the 99 predator on last night. Here are some pics last night with some detail pics. The blue one is the 79cc that now has been used 7 flawless hours,

here is the 79cc ready to take out

here is the 99cc. took the governor out hopefully not too fast. Added a bigger main jet that takes care of the issues MD was having.

pic of brake set up (z120 with cheap band) clutch, and chain

throttle set up for governed motor

my hillbilly motor mount based off the stock mount. I really should make a nicer one but this works well, just a pain to adjust

here is the nice mount from affordable go karts

non governed throttle set up

pic of the new paint she wanted. I'll post more when decals come

I'll get more tonight when I finish it. I have to move the motor over to the right tonight and tie up some stuff. Roger
929rog

Post by 929rog »

929rog wrote:
929rog wrote:You need to go bigger on back sprocket to slow it down or smaller on front. smallest you can go on front is 10t but that will make a big difference. Biggest one I can find for the back is stock. Might be able to have one made but it will be real close to the running board.
OK guys I put the 99 predator on last night. Here are some pics last night with some detail pics. The blue one is the 79cc that now has been used 7 flawless hours,

here is the 99cc. took the governor out hopefully not too fast. Added a bigger main jet that takes care of the issues MD was having.

my hillbilly motor mount based off the stock mount. I really should make a nicer one but this works well, just a pain to adjust

I'll get more tonight when I finish it. I have to move the motor over to the right tonight and tie up some stuff. Roger

oops here it is

Gatordaryl

Post by Gatordaryl »

You have inspired me to replace the 60cc kitty cat engine. I just ordered the 79cc predator engine from Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/79-cc-ohv- ... 69733.html
What modifications should I prepare for? Front gear smaller? Custom motor mounts? Custom exhaust?
Thanks for your guidance and direction.
929rog wrote:
929rog wrote:

oops here it is

1997 Kitty Cat
So. Maine
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Where are you in Maine?
Gatordaryl

Post by Gatordaryl »

929rog wrote:Where are you in Maine?
I am in Naples, near Long Lake. How about you?
1997 Kitty Cat
So. Maine
929rog

Post by 929rog »

LOL... right around the corner in Buxton rte. 112 on the Gorham side near rt 25. I'll put a minimum list together in a bit. You can come check mine out if you want.
Gatordaryl

Post by Gatordaryl »

929rog wrote:LOL... right around the corner in Buxton rte. 112 on the Gorham side near rt 25. I'll put a minimum list together in a bit. You can come check mine out if you want.
Too funny. Thank you very much for taking the time to put together a list for me. This forum has been a great resource of info, thanks to helpful and informative members such as yourself. Thanks again!
1997 Kitty Cat
So. Maine
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Gatordaryl wrote:
929rog wrote:LOL... right around the corner in Buxton rte. 112 on the Gorham side near rt 25. I'll put a minimum list together in a bit. You can come check mine out if you want.
Too funny. Thank you very much for taking the time to put together a list for me. This forum has been a great resource of info, thanks to helpful and informative members such as yourself. Thanks again!
OK...
Affordable go karts.com down on the left hand side 79cc performance
motor plate code 2306 $25 You might be able to fabricate something yourself based on the stock mount. I think you could put a flat plate over the stock motor mount and maybe use that. You'll see what I mean when you put the motor in place. Your going to have to do some fabrication either way. Why I like this mount is its all pre drilled for this motor so it will be straight. You will want the motor as far to the right and as far back as you can. The steering stem will actually be right between the carb and the valve cover pretty close. You can use the stock airbox but you have to modify the bottom of it for clearance. I have one you can have if you want. I bought the AGK filter for $16 but kept the box for the part numberand I know you can get one for half that. If you go that route you need the adapter as well. The good thing is you get alot more room to work with. The slightly bad... These motors are already pretty lean for emmisions, this makes it slightly leaner. Only side effect is you really have to let it warm up or it wil hesitate and try to stall off idle. THe 99cc has removable main jets the 79cc does not. Guys drill the 79cc main and AGK can probably help with the size.

Header flange code 2308 $8.50
Header tube candy cane $14.50

If you can find some 1" tubing with a tight bend you wont need the header tube

Need a muffler AGK 688 $10.50 I got mine at the hardware store for a little less

You will have to make the pipe and muffler. I can get it welded if you dont know anyone with a welder.

Brake mount arctic cat 120 0702-360 $27.56 bolts on perfectly. You might be able to use the stock one not sure I didnt even try as this fits so nice.

Should be able to use stock brake band. If not buy a cheap go kart one from like Azusa or someone. Just get the right size for clutch.

YOU can probably use the stock cables. I bought new from Asuza, just measured length on both. They where cheap.

THrottle hook up check out one of my pictures. Affordable sells one for $12 but not sure you can keep the tank on using thiers. Really all you need is to bend a piece of metal and bolt it to the recoil housing.

You'll probably need a little #35 chain and I'd get a couple master links.

Use the stock clutch and rear gear.

Let me know I'll help anyway I can. Even if you bought all new cables and everything you could ebay the stock motor and still have some money left over.
Gatordaryl

Post by Gatordaryl »

929rog wrote:
Gatordaryl wrote:
OK...
motor plate code 2306 $25 You might be able to fabricate something yourself based on the stock mount. I think you could put a flat plate over the stock motor mount and maybe use that. You'll see what I mean when you put the motor in place. Your going to have to do some fabrication either way. Why I like this mount is its all pre drilled for this motor so it will be straight. You will want the motor as far to the right and as far back as you can. The steering stem will actually be right between the carb and the valve cover pretty close. You can use the stock airbox but you have to modify the bottom of it for clearance. I have one you can have if you want. I bought the AGK filter for $16 but kept the box for the part numberand I know you can get one for half that. If you go that route you need the adapter as well. The good thing is you get alot more room to work with. The slightly bad... These motors are already pretty lean for emmisions, this makes it slightly leaner. Only side effect is you really have to let it warm up or it wil hesitate and try to stall off idle. THe 99cc has removable main jets the 79cc does not. Guys drill the 79cc main and AGK can probably help with the size.

Need a muffler AGK 688 $10.50 I got mine at the hardware store for a little less

You will have to make the pipe and muffler. I can get it welded if you dont know anyone with a welder.

Brake mount arctic cat 120 0702-360 $27.56 bolts on perfectly. You might be able to use the stock one not sure I didnt even try as this fits so nice.

Should be able to use stock brake band. If not buy a cheap go kart one from like Azusa or someone. Just get the right size for clutch.

YOU can probably use the stock cables. I bought new from Asuza, just measured length on both. They where cheap.

THrottle hook up check out one of my pictures. Affordable sells one for $12 but not sure you can keep the tank on using thiers. Really all you need is to bend a piece of metal and bolt it to the recoil housing.

Let me know I'll help anyway I can. Even if you bought all new cables and everything you could ebay the stock motor and still have some money left over.
WOW! Lots of great info here. I will plan on getting the motor plate you suggested. Same for the exhaust parts. We have a welder, so that won't be an issue. I'll be sure to pick up a new chain and some links too. Can't thank you enough for the assistance. Should go pretty smoothly with all of the parts here for the install.

I'll post some pictures of the tear down and install for others to view. Pics should be similar to yours anyways.
1997 Kitty Cat
So. Maine
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Gatordaryl wrote:
929rog wrote:
Gatordaryl wrote: Too funny. Thank you very much for taking the time to put together a list for me. This forum has been a great resource of info, thanks to helpful and informative members such as yourself. Thanks again!
OK...

WOW! Lots of great info here. I will plan on getting the motor plate you suggested. Same for the exhaust parts. We have a welder, so that won't be an issue. I'll be sure to pick up a new chain and some links too. Can't thank you enough for the assistance. Should go pretty smoothly with all of the parts here for the install.

I'll post some pictures of the tear down and install for others to view. Pics should be similar to yours anyways.
Why the hell do I have to quote to reply? If you have access to a welder your in good shape. SHould be able to come up with something better for bolting that motor mount to the chassis than I did. Keep trying the hood when making the mount. Its pretty tight with the tank on so you want to make sure it fits before you finalize it. Good luck let us know. Oh on the chain it will be longer than stock. cant remember how much but I can measure mine as its still off
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Gatordaryl wrote:
929rog wrote:
Gatordaryl wrote: Too funny. Thank you very much for taking the time to put together a list for me. This forum has been a great resource of info, thanks to helpful and informative members such as yourself. Thanks again!
OK...

NOw that I'm thinking about it I might wait on the $25 mount I used. I think it would be better with just a flat plate on top of the stock kitty cat mount. If the stock mount was about an inch longer it would work. I ran into a problem last night with my motor being too high with the 99cc, the tank is different. I did not want to take it all back apart so I used the 79cc tank. If I modified the stock mount it would be about an inch lower and have no clearance issues
Gatordaryl

Post by Gatordaryl »

Why the hell do I have to quote to reply? If you have access to a welder your in good shape. SHould be able to come up with something better for bolting that motor mount to the chassis than I did. Keep trying the hood when making the mount. Its pretty tight with the tank on so you want to make sure it fits before you finalize it. Good luck let us know. Oh on the chain it will be longer than stock. cant remember how much but I can measure mine as its still off.

Yeah, I think the AGK chain is 10' long. Thanks again for all of the parts recommended. Saves me a lot of trial and error!
1997 Kitty Cat
So. Maine
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

I would reccomend using a decent quality kart chain. Avoid the really cheap stuff from fleet farm, I learnt the hard way. The econo stuff will stretch and wear out the drive sprocket fairly quickly.
Jeff.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ol0W1QPEu8

Had time to post a quick video.. She put 3 hours on it trouble free. I think its close to done. I want to try higher engagement clutch springs next. The good about running this one ungoverned is on hills or deep snow its got waay more power than governed. The bad is its awefull damn fast. Might be able to limit the throttle a little. It floats the valves at about 5400 rpm. I know it could handle more gear it makes alot of power if someone wanted to go faster, i think i'm good!

Post by 72 »

3 hours ride time and just 30 seconds of video :lol: . Did you use the same pipe as the 79cc? Did you make a final decision on jet size or still testing? Top speed?

Post by 72 »

How is the clutch holding up compared to a stock kitty?