We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Better engine alternative.. 2.5hp OHV

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

929rog

Post by 929rog »

Sorry guys. For some reason I was not able to log on here for awhile. Answers to some of the questions.. I made the windshield from lexan in a brake. It goes about 15 mph stock rear gear 12 tooth front. It really would be better for a youngster with a stock 10t. I'll post another video.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

try this
http://youtu.be/SiiLFsmzUzc
she put 3 tanks through it last weekend. Only stopped when it would run out.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

This motor is better than the one I used. A little more power and looks like it has a plastic tank. When I first put it on it kept plugging the jets in the carb. Mine has a painted metal tank and everytime you screwed the gas cap on a little bit of paint chips would get in the tank. Had to take tank off and sand off the paibnt in the tank neck area.

Post by 72 »

929rog wrote:Sorry guys. For some reason I was not able to log on here for awhile. Answers to some of the questions.. I made the windshield from lexan in a brake. It goes about 15 mph stock rear gear 12 tooth front. It really would be better for a youngster with a stock 10t. I'll post another video.
Had the same problem logging in awhile back, I think the php site hosting blocked a bunch of Ip addys due to spam. Any plans on a shorter driven sprocket?, it looks like your girl can handle it. Any main jet changes? Peak rpm? I think the same engine is used in the new little toro snowblower I picked up.
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

929rog wrote:try this
http://youtu.be/SiiLFsmzUzc
she put 3 tanks through it last weekend. Only stopped when it would run out.
How does the 2.5hp perform all around? It looks good in the vid on the road, but how is it on a bit of a hill or in some deeper snow? I recently put an old (good running) 2hp flat-head Briggs&Stratton in one of our Kittys. It gets up to speed on flat hard ground, but will stall out on too much of a hill and likely can not handle much more than 3-4" of fresh snow. I'm wondering if a new 2.5hp OHC motor is worthwhile for the next upgrade. Eventhough i would need a bigger clutch, I'm thinking I may be better to just go to a 4hp when I do it.

Post by 72 »

If power is a concern, 6.5 clones have been done before, no shortage there.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

I think power wise its very good. Though I wish they had the 99cc 3hp when I bought mine.. more is better right? We went for a trail ride yesterday ans it took everything in stride no problems. I only had one issue awhile back with 5 inches of really heavy wet snow. Was great for awhile then the clutch got hot and it did not want to take off it got hot. I think a combination of too high engagement and her constantly stopping and starting. I am using a Hilliard extreme duty. Its $50 for a 10t front gear from Hilliard! I only paid $50 for the clutch. I was going to try a 10t max torque but I think its fine. If you think about it 1 stock kitty I think was around 3hp. These are 2.5 at 3600, I put on a pipe and turn it around 4500. It has to be making over 3hp and probably double the torque. These OHV motors are hard to compare to the old flat heads, Just a much better running engine. There are people using these as an alternative to the comer 50cc in kids go kart racing. Without much work at all I have heard close to 5hp. The size is what sold me, its small. I almost did a 6.5 conversion, actually had one in it. Its tight but can be done if your fairly crafty. Dan the man had made motor plates to do this awhile back but sounds like he is done with these.
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Yup, my 2hp flat head is too old and weak. But, I have found a deal on a slightly bigger motor I'm going to try and make fit. I'll re-post a new topic so as not to highjack this thread.
MDMANIAC

Post by MDMANIAC »

Hello there,

Just got a 72 with no spark, going to do the 3HP predator motor swap but running into a few issues.

On your sled rog i see you have a different motor mount then mine, is this something you've come up with or purchased some where? I was planning on using the stock mount but nothing comes close to lining up, and not to mention if i mounted it in stock location the air filter assembly hits my steering post.

I really like your motor mount and think that would work great in my application. Going to run a 11T gear clutch and stock rear.

Also going to have to come up with an exhaust and throttle just like you have, thanks for the advice!
Last edited by MDMANIAC on February 13th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

I used a motor mount from afforadable go karts.com with the stock motor mount underneath. in between was 1 inch squeare tubing. After I finished I saw that all I really had to do was get some 1 inch square tubing and put it on top of the stock motor mount. I can take more pictures if you want. Its very tight around the stock airbox. I trimmed it to fit at the steering then put duct tape on the inside to keep stuff out. I could send pictures of that as well if needed. It will be pretty fast with that 12t on there.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Ill take more pictures tonight with the throttle, brakes, motor mount and airbox
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

That 99cc looks like it gives you a lot more room to work with. The motor looks much higher and more rearword than I could fit my 250cc. To keep the mount simple and low, I ended up bolting the front of the motor directly to the front frame/cross member, and made a spacer to bolt and hold the back up - you can see it well in the pictures of the 2hp I had in briefly. I dont have any adjustability, i just made sure it was square, and then rely on the chain tensioner.
MDMANIAC

Post by MDMANIAC »

I would appreciate any and all pictures, I've thought about doing something similar, or mounting some rubber dampeners on the cross member and the rear end and making a new motor plate.

I meant to say 11T, that was the smallest we had available at work, at $28 for a max torque, couldn't pass up that deal.

Also, a pic of your throttle would be great, i think i may have to scrounge one of the parts motors at work for a choke setup too...little man isn't going to know what hit him, although he loves riding my 800 polaris at the age of 22 months :lol:

Thanks again

--I will try and get pics start to finish of this project for others as i think it'll be the cats meow, especially to replace the kawi motors.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Sorry guys I could not get down in the garage last night. I'll be able to tonight
929rog

Post by 929rog »

been awhile, here is a recent video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7QNtPl ... data_playe made my second set of skis with razor scooter wheels. Total cost about $30. goes anywhere.
kittycat

Post by kittycat »

if you could give any more pictures possible I would appreciate it. I have the motor (99hp from harbor freight) and would like to rebuild as you have yours. thanks again!!!
929rog

Post by 929rog »

What pictures are you looking for, I put a bunch on here. I'm still getting messages on how to do this. If I was going to do it again I think I would take the stock kitty motor mount and have a 1/4 plate welded to the top of it. Drill new holes and done. Also make the holes in the front snout where the engine mount bolts to it bigger. It will give you way more adjustment for alignment. Once you have the motor and the stock kitty cat mount you will see what I mean.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Just picked up a 99cc Predator want to see if there is really any difference in power. Probably sell 1 complete set up pretty soon. Pics coming

Post by 72 »

929rog wrote:Just picked up a 99cc Predator want to see if there is really any difference in power. Probably sell 1 complete set up pretty soon. Pics coming
Have not been to HF in awhile, not seeing the 99cc predator on their website anymore. Hurry up with the pics!

Some info

Post by 72 »

Here is a link with some info on the 99cc engine for anyone thinking about it.........enjoy http://www.affordablegokarts.com/99cc-predator.php

I have not read it all the way thru, but so far so good :D