We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Chain alignment and chewing up parts

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Joel

Chain alignment and chewing up parts

Post by Joel »

Hey, I’m a newbie kittycat owner. Bought a 1996 in fair condition for my 6 year old daughter to ride and soon my 2 year old son will be on it.

A buddy of mine picked up this machine in red lake where he works at a mine. He doesn’t look at stuff too closely:(

I sorted out some small stuff like fuel leaks etc. But the driven gear was worn like nothing I have seen before, chain was very loose and tensioner was mangled.

I bought new parts including an aluminum 42t sprocket and quick change hub should I later want to change the gearing.

I put everything together, tested it out and find aluminum shavings and the outside of the driven gear is wearing. Things are not in alignment, drive gear needs to be out further. Maybe up to 1/2 inch by eyeballing it.I look at the old gear and it is all cleaned off on the outside. The alignment is the source problem.

I can’t get the clutch off. I was hoping I may be able to shim it out. I’ve been soaking it and heating it and I really don’t want to mangle it as it seems to work well.

I attempted to adjust the engine placement but the slots don’t allow for much lateral movement.

Any suggestions? Should I grind out the slot slo I can move the engine further? I can’t figure out why this problem occurred in the first place!
snowmobilejack

Re: Chain alignment and chewing up parts

Post by snowmobilejack »

It's hard to say what's going on, if you can post some pics it might help.