We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

belt drive conversion and brake fab////cold kutter vs studs

Races where and when, also fine tune your Kitty Cat for the local track or back yard.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

screamingkitty

belt drive conversion and brake fab////cold kutter vs studs

Post by screamingkitty »

Here we go (I'm new so bear with me). Got my son racing with a little carb jetting, governer tied, and gearing done, but we NEED more rear traction! I hear studs will tear the tunnel so I'm here to ask 8 anyone has tried bike screws or similar. ...heck even sheet metal screws?

And second, I was talking to a friend about getting a better clutch with higher engagement and raise a tooth and he cursed me out and pulled up a comet type CVT belt drive system that they offer to the 120's....keep in mind he's a machinist and guarantees me I could do it for 100 bucks! QUESTION: has anyone out there done this and have documentation via pictures to possibly share? My biggest concern is brake fabrication. ..do I go with a disc setup on opposite side of clutch on drive shaft???? Thanks for help and if I can help anyone in the future I'd be happy!
17 mph kitty
screamingkitty

Post by screamingkitty »

I'm also wondering what size clutches I should be after...
17 mph kitty

Post by 72 »

You wont even get a driven let alone a driver for a $100. Unless your guy is a retard. If thats the case please let him know I will purchase everything he has in reference to this. If not, I have something along the lines your thinking. If he can make the shafts needed then thats a bargain, might want to get two sets made.

Post by 72 »

screamingkitty wrote:I'm also wondering what size clutches I should be after...
6 inch driven requires less cutting, but springs and belt length can make up for it " to a point". 6 inch are harder to find. At least the "merican" made ones. 5/8" only make a little slot.
screamingkitty

Post by screamingkitty »

Looks like I have a 6 in driven 5/8 in for approximately 60 bucks, also will be mounting a disc brake set up on opposite side off a gas scooter. Everyone I've talked to said that I can only get the driver in 3/4 in shaft... I could machine a sleeve and use that....or could get a centrifugal belt drive.... so I'm not sure if I want a full cvt set up (more if not too much speed) OR a mix of centrifugal driver and cvt driven. Either way should be about 100-130 bucks and a few hours in the machine shop.
17 mph kitty
screamingkitty

Post by screamingkitty »

How the hell do I put pictures on here??? Found a pic of exactly what I want but nobody that really explains their build??? If you look at f1 modded kitty's they all use this set up but there really isnt anything left from arctic cat on the sled. If there's a will there's a way....and $$$$ and a machine shop ;)
17 mph kitty
screamingkitty

Post by screamingkitty »

17 mph kitty

Post by 72 »

Thats not a comet, I remember like 3 or 4 years ago when these chineese knockoffs came out. They were a mixed bag of headaches, from materials to workmanship. Bushings prematurely wearing out sheaves sticking or opening and closing erratically, sheave face angles that did not match the belt and interchangeability of parts . Who knows maybe they are better now. Even the comet stuff I think sources some of their parts overseas now that they started making them again. If you could find someone to give you a driver, driven and belt it would be totally free. :lol:

Post by 72 »

Just came up with an even better idea for you...... Because your time is worth nothing, just as your employers tooling/ material/ energy...... Maybe you (or trick someone else) could make "all" the parts you need. Or maybe your machinist buddy can tell you a way to accomplish what I am talking about. It could put money in your pocket. Now that would be a score, just an idea.
screamingkitty

Post by screamingkitty »

You sound like a real piece of shit! WELL I finished up the kitty, at a friends machine shop with his help and tooling! And as far as time, we did spend a fair amount.... but it was a relaxed tunes playin beer drinking setting. SO, it works better than planned....sled is too fast (35+ gps) but the kid has good throttle control. All together it was a 100 upgrade (not including the beers).
17 mph kitty

Post by 72 »

screamingkitty wrote:You sound like a real piece of shit! WELL I finished up the kitty, at a friends machine shop with his help and tooling! And as far as time, we did spend a fair amount.... but it was a relaxed tunes playin beer drinking setting. SO, it works better than planned....sled is too fast (35+ gps) but the kid has good throttle control. All together it was a 100 upgrade (not including the beers).
Pics or it never happened (not of the pile of empties) and while your at it post a parts list with source(s) and prices paid. Or can someone just send you a 100 bucks and a case of beer.

Moving the engine back will take off a little speed, thats if you dont want to break the budget with a longer belt or different springs asshole.