We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

When racing, what oil to run?

Races where and when, also fine tune your Kitty Cat for the local track or back yard.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Steve

When racing, what oil to run?

Post by Steve »

I have heard war stories about running arctic oil in a Kitty Cat when the Kitty Cat is used for racing. Does it really matter? I know of one Kitty Cat that threw a piston and I know that he uses Arctic oil.That does not mean that it caused the melt down, but I think that it was one of the factors. What should I used?
Cat Racer

Oil

Post by Cat Racer »

You Can use most any brand But Use syn. oil We use Lub-Tec or Redline
6 to 7 oz. per Gal.
The Reverend

oil mix

Post by The Reverend »

I run Klotz Super Technaplate with 20% castor oil in it. It works flawlessly at 50 to 1 with 80% methanol and 20% nitromethane mix running at 10,500 RPM.
For less strung out motors, regular Technaplate works great too.

Post by Guest »

:roll: Yea I think that mix will work. NOT!!!!!!! :roll:
Rev. Ronnie

oil mix

Post by Rev. Ronnie »

Yeah, it actually runs great if the motor is set up for it. Before you try it you will need to get a hold of me for a billet cyl head and cylinder mods. Or be prepared to melt a lot of heads!! Ron 651 774-4956
rfitzmn

Re: When racing, what oil to run?

Post by rfitzmn »

Steve wrote:I have heard war stories about running arctic oil in a Kitty Cat when the Kitty Cat is used for racing. Does it really matter? I know of one Kitty Cat that threw a piston and I know that he uses Arctic oil.That does not mean that it caused the melt down, but I think that it was one of the factors. What should I used?
I would recommend the worlds #1 selling high performance 2-cycle oil, INJEX or INJEX-PRO Synthetic blend Racing oil. I have used it in 2-cycle racing engines and for dyno testing for over twenty years. It simply works the best. Go to www.advantagelubes.com for info. They ship UPS, FED-EX, or SPEE-DEE daily.

OIL MIX

Post by guest »

:D I HAVE ALWAYS RAN AMZOIL, NO FOULS, MO MELTED PISTONS, JUST GOOD RUNNIN'.

Dean
ttw_walman

Post by ttw_walman »

I am just wondering. I hear a lot of people talking about "this oil and that oil". I have never heard of any snowmobile engine failing due to the "wrong oil".I know lots of people(myself included) who have had meltdowns due to lean conditions but not because of oil. I have been burning supertech(walmart brand) oil in all of my sleds since 1996 and have never had a problem. This stuff is TCW-3 and only $6 per gallon. I did have some meltown problems with my 95 V-MAX 600 but that was due to the Bender Drag pipes not the walmart oil. If it were I figure I would have been replacing the crank and bearings not the piston and cylinder. If anyone out ther has had an oil related failure I would like to hear about it and the specific conditions!!
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

I also feel that your choise of oil is not super critical. So long as it is oil, it will help your engine run. In some euoropean and african countries they use used motor oil for 2-stroke mix - the owner manuals for Sthil power equipment even takes that into consideration. However if you have a high compression high performance engine and you want to get the most out of it, I'm sure there are oils that will help more than others. Few people using any of these oils (including me) really know what goes into them, and what differences there are from one to the other. Most answers to the endless "what oil do you run" are based on personal preference.
That said, and in response to Waltman, there are a couple things that everyone should know about Oil ratings. Walt, your oil has worked for you, so I wouldnt change and dont take this personnaly. TCW-3 rated oils are designed for marine use (outboards and some PWC's). It is designed for engines that work hard, but generally run lower RPMs and have a ton of cooling, thus lower temperatures. These engines are more suseptible to fouling and the oil is designed for that. Most importantly, TCW-3 oils are ASHLESS. Rotax engines specifically can not be run on ashless oils due to higher compression and combustion temperatures. In Rotax and other high compression engines, they need a LOW ASH oil, or a snowmobile oil rated to API-TC. The ash provides a bit of carbon to protect the rings and piston at extreme temperatures. Here is an article that explains a lot, long, but an interesting read
http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm
The other interesting thing to note is the market for TCW oil is much larger, so there are more oils that are actually certified. Few companies will pay to certify their API-TC compliant oils because the market demand is not as big.
So run what you brung and feel comfortable with, chances are few people (outside of racers) will ever have a failure due to oil. But at least with this information you'll understand it a bit better. Sorry the post was so long, but I thought this information was interesting when I found it.
Cheers.
brad dodge

OILS

Post by brad dodge »

I USE AMSOIL NOW I BLEW A PISTON WITH ONE SLED USING ARTIC CAT OIL, I HAVE ALSO HEARD REDLINE IS GOOD I KNOW AMSOIL IS GREAT. AND WE HAD ADULTS RIDING THE SLED THAT BLEW UP BUT THATS A WHOLE NOTHER STORY OIL IS NOT ALL THE SAME OUTBOARD OIL OR CHEAPO 2 STROKE WOULD BE STUPID IN MY OPION, SOME PARTS ARE OBS BLOW A PISTON BUY A ENG IF IT IS A KAWASAKI JUST MY 2 CENT MAD BRAD
MAD BRAD