We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Spark Plug Gap

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Maineskidoo

Spark Plug Gap

Post by Maineskidoo »

I have a '74 KC with the 60 CC Kasawki motor. It has a hard time starting, so I wanted to be sure my plug was gapped right. Does anyone know what that gap is supposed to be?
thanks in advance
Devo

Post by Devo »

0.7MM (0.028 in.) NKG BR6HS
Franknstein

Kitty Cat Spark Plugs

Post by Franknstein »

Hello,
I know this is an old post but besides the NGK BR6HS, does anyone know the cross reference to other spark plug brands...

(I'm partial to Champion spark plugs by the way)
Thank you,
Frank
peel_out

Autolite Spark Plug for Kitty Cat

Post by peel_out »

I never found a direct cross reference to a Champion spark plug, but you can get an Autolite spark plug for a Kitty Cat.

It is Autolite part number: 4093

Not sure if that helps you out or not.
snowmobilejack

Champion Spark Plug for Kitty Cat

Post by snowmobilejack »

Here is the Champion spark plug for a Kitty Cat: RL86C (830)

I just used the lookup tool on the Champion spark plug website and it comes up. It is the same for all the model years.

http://www.championautoparts.com/Produc ... k-Plug.htm

Enjoy!
ziggster

Re: Spark Plug Gap

Post by ziggster »

Spark plug gap plays a significant role in the performance and efficiency of a Kitty Cat engine. The spark plug gap refers to the distance between the center and ground electrode at the tip of the spark plug. It affects the spark's ability to ignite the air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.

Here's how spark plug gap can make a difference:
  1. Ignition Efficiency: The spark plug gap determines the size and intensity of the spark produced. A larger gap allows for a larger spark, which can result in more efficient and complete combustion. This leads to better engine performance, improved fuel economy, and reduced emissions.
  2. Firing Timing: The gap also affects the timing of the spark. A wider gap may cause a delayed or weaker spark, affecting the engine's overall timing and combustion process. This can result in poor engine performance, misfires, and reduced power.
  3. Heat Range: Spark plug gaps also affect the heat range of the plug. A smaller gap can dissipate heat more efficiently, making it suitable for engines that run at higher temperatures. Conversely, a wider gap may be more appropriate for engines that run cooler. Using the correct heat range and gap size for your engine is crucial to avoid overheating or fouling of the spark plugs.
It is important to mention that the spark plug gap specification is typically provided by the engine or spark plug manufacturer and should be followed for optimal performance whether it's for a Kitty Cat or any kind of snowmobile. Different engines have specific requirements, and using an incorrect gap size can negatively impact engine performance, fuel efficiency, and potentially cause damage to your delicate engine.