We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

How do you replace the crank seals for a 1973 Kawi Engine?

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

trdehmer

How do you replace the crank seals for a 1973 Kawi Engine?

Post by trdehmer »

Re-cleaned my 1973 carburetor last night and put on a new fuel line. Still wouldn't idle, so I squirt some starting fluid down by the recoil, RPM's went up. So, my crank seals need to be replaced. How hard is it to replace the seals?

Guessing I need to split the engine. So, besides seals what parts are all needed to complete a project like this? Any special tools needed to get the seals in, etc.??

Post by 72 »

You dont need to split the cases, you will need a puller to remove the flywheel. Once the flywheel and ignition plate is remove you can usually pry the old seal out with a chissle, screwdriver or seal hook. The new seal can be driven in with a deep well socket of the right diameter. I never had to change one on the gear reduction case side, but its pretty much the same except you have to pull the clutch and side cover and remove the gear on the end of the shaft to get to the seal the gear is just held on with a nut, keep track of the gears key because they are easy to lose.
trdehmer

Post by trdehmer »

Any special kind of puller needed? I have a puller I use for my 2003 Firecat - if similar I could use that I suppose, it is more of a universal type flywheel puller.

So, you recommend doing the seal on the flywheel side and seeing if that takes care of the problem before doing the seal on the gear reduction side?

Where would I spray some starting fluid on the gear reduction side to see if my RPM's increase?

Post by 72 »

I would just do the ignition side, but thats just me, I would also test run the engine before I put it back it. If you dont already know there is a bearing behind that seal so take your time digging it out so as not to cause damage or have a bunch of garbage fall in.