We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Snowmobile Lights Not Working

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

dggg

Snowmobile Lights Not Working

Post by dggg »

My kid's snowmobile lights are not working and I'm looking for some advice on the troubleshooting process. Looking for advice to troubleshoot snowmobile lights. It's a 1992 Kitty Cat.
mojosledder

Re: Snowmobile Lights Not Working

Post by mojosledder »

dggg wrote: September 3rd, 2017, 6:28 am My kid's snowmobile lights are not working and I'm looking for some advice on the troubleshooting process.
Start with the easy stuff, did you test the bulbs? An multi-meter is the easiest way, they can be checked for continuity using an ohmeter. Some low amount of ohms is good, infinity and it's a bad bulb.

Otherwise, disconnect and remove the headlight and taillight. Using jumper wires, temporarily connect each bulb individually to a 12V car battery and see if they light up. Polarity of the wires doesn't matter. Then at least you've confirmed your bulbs are good. (be careful doing with this version of the test).

I wouldn't go any further until you know the bulbs actually work.
dggg

Post by dggg »

I was able to get a low reading on the digital meter an I also verified the bulbs work by connecting the 12V from a lawn mower battery, so it is definitely not the bulbs. That tells me there is an electrical issue for sure in the sled for sure.
mojosledder

Post by mojosledder »

You can do a few things from here. You can run the engine and test for voltage at the headlight plug. You will find nothing there, but I would do it anyway just to be thorough. Start moving backwards through the light circuit with your DC voltmeter.

The next place to test for DC volts is on the brown and yellow wires anywhere in the harness. Since both headlight and taillight aren't working you can move to a point that is shared by both lights. The plugs in the harness are easy test points and sometimes you can see bad pins or bad connections on those.

Start checking wires and connectors for breaks and obvious stuff!
dggg

Post by dggg »

Well the problem was in the wiring at the connector closest to the stator. When I touched it, lights came on very dim, working it around and lights got brighter. Bum wire or pin in the connector, not quite sure yet but his is an easy fix. Thanks!!