We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

98 Carb help please

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Shrevmo

98 Carb help please

Post by Shrevmo »

Hi all,

I'm having issues with the Kitty. It's a 98. It starts and runs fine for about 10 mins. and then bogs down. I've pulled the carb a few times and cleaned all the ports and jets.

Can someone tell me how to properly install the jets just to be sure. I've tightened them to seat each time. I'm not 100% sure which way the holes are supposed to face as there are several in each jet. I do not have a service manual.

Any help would be appreciated or other insight as to why it bogs down after a short run time would be appreciated.

Thanks
Its ony money..I'l make more tomorrow!!
JonnO

Carb Issue - Kills After 10 Minutes

Post by JonnO »

It would be very difficult to install the jets wrong. The main jet is what screws into the side of the housing inside the bowl. You can't install it wrong. The pilot jet is the jet that's installed into the top of the carb that has lots of holes in it. As long as it's seated, you can't install it wrong. The gas and air mix in this area using the pilot jet.

There's a "nozzle" that's installed from the bottom of the carb into the housing from the bowl. It's a little longer than an inch with lots of holes in it. Again, you can't install the nozzle wrong.

Your idle problem has been quite common over the years and is typically that you have a vent problem on the gas tank cap. Since it's a gravity system, if air can't get into the gas tank the vacuum stops the fuel flow. Leave the cap loose, or off, and run it again. If it doesn't die in 10-15 minutes you just need to clean the cap vent or drill a small hole in the cap.

If that's not the problem, does the engine restart right away or not. If it doesn't restart right away, you might have a short in your coil. I'd check the coil next. You can find the steps to do this on my website http://obups/ServiceManuals/Service_Manuals.htm. The documentation is for a 1989, but the process and specs are all the same.

If you're still having problems after this, let me know and we'll try a few other things.

Thanks!
Shrevmo

Post by Shrevmo »

Thanks Jon-

I'll try tonight. I figured you couldn't install the jets incorrectly. I put them in until they were seated as I always did. The carb is clean as a you know what...lol

And to answer your later question, it does fire up right away. Thats what had me confused.

As a side note, all the upgrades I got from you last year are operating fantastic and the kids are loving it for the 10 or 15 min. clips they can ride at a time.

I'll keep you posted and thanks again.
Its ony money..I'l make more tomorrow!!
zerko

Post by zerko »

I have one doing the same thing. Rings bad on exhaust side.
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

There's been other post on this same topic. It's a fuel problem. Modern pump gas is not designed to be used in bowl carburators of any kind. It's a distallation rate problem. proved it many, many times. What the problem is the piston top is getting hot and the incoming charge coming through the tranfer skims the top of the piston and a certain percentage evaporates away and basically there's nothing there to combust just before TDC. When you shut it off and let it cool down it starts right up and runs again until it gets hot again. Check a website called pure-gas .org and click on your state to try to find a ethahol free gas. You will pay about 1.50 more per gallon but it works. VP used to make a fuel called MS93 and it was a 93 octane fuel with no junk in it. A year ago they decided to drop the RVP rating of the fuel to 3.6psi down from 9.61psi which in turn creates hard starting when it's cold out. I called there tech guy and he had no clue on what I was talking about. I told him he had a good product why did they mess with it. He had no answer. The kitty cat is one of the very simpleiest carbs out there. Once the float height is set right you should never have to mess with it....There are no black magic tricks
Wankel 1

Kawi Carb

Post by Wankel 1 »

Sorry to hijack your thread. How do you lean down a old kawi carb? I am racing it and it is running fat.
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

When I had my "B" motor it had a 80 jet. I think the "A" has a 72. What I did is there is a very small round mukuni jet (will have to look the the series) that screws right up in there. I think I ended up with a 77.5
Wankel 1

A motor jetting

Post by Wankel 1 »

If the A motor and B motor are pretty much the same why is the jetting so much different?