We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Almost running/please help.

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

ramey36

Almost running/please help.

Post by ramey36 »

1973 Kitty Cat with T5 Kawasaki Engine.

Hadn't been run for MANY years. Coil tested well. Points shot. Installed universal electronic ignition and immediately had awesome spark. Fresh spark plug.

Had it running for one day last year until the crank seals went out. It didn't idle well that day due to the impending doom of the crank seals but at least my boy had an hour of fun.

Fast forward to this year. Had our local expert install new crank seals. 130 psi cranking compression, mechanically sound sealing-wise. Great ring seal. Clean bill of health in the cylinder area. Spark still strong.

Upon reassembly last week it would run up high but wouldn't idle or run anywhere below full throttle. I had the Kikaki on and off about 50 times. Seems like it was mechanically ok. Nice and clean inside, all passages clean.

The holes in the emulsion tube were facing the air cleaner. I had heard these should face the engine so I turned the tube around. Ran even worse.

So then, I took a carb off my other untouched Kitty. It was mine ever since I was five (I'm 40 now). The strangest thing with the emulsion tube is it was facing the air cleaner as well. That makes no sense to me as you'd think the airflow would be a detriment to the way the atomized fuel comes out of the tube.

So now, with the 2nd Kikaki carb, it starts every time and runs very well down low. As soon as I give it throttle it bogs and shuts off. It will run on half choke but it's inconsistent.

Two questions:

How do I enrichen the high speed circuit? Is it because of ethanol?

Could my engine be out of whack due to timing? Is the universal electronic ignition throwing the high speed off? Do I need the Kitty specific ignition? Even though it's sparking is it at the correct time?

thanks for listening

ramey

Post by 72 »

What type of conversion did you use? Is it a T5A or T5B engine?
ramey36

Post by ramey36 »

T5A060SIA

Hi 72. Thanks for the reply.

We used a local engine shop's conversion, kind of a universal kit. Unfortunately it's not the Crossover system.

Was wondering, do you know the float height setting on the Kikaki carb?

Have a good day.

ramey

Post by 72 »

Some of the conversions wont work well or at all with flywheels with more than 2 magnets. I know the 73 t5b has four magnets. Dont remember what the magnet configuration is with the t5a. After rereading, it sounds like the ignition is not an issue because you were able to get it to run in the high and low rpm range. As for the float height, I usually just adjust as needed. Did the second carb work ok on the other engine? Its odd that the holes in the e-tube point away from the cylinder but that is just how they are.
ramey36

Post by ramey36 »

Hi 72.

Thanks for the reply.

The spark has been strong ever since the conversion. The factory points were mainly powder when I started messing with them...

The low speed only carb ran many years ago on sled #2 but I haven't tried firing #2 due to it not having a track on it. I imagine the crank seals are shot as well.

We opted to get sled #1 running since it had a track.

The fact that it runs with the choke half on indicates a lean condition. I'm going to try the starter fluid spray trick and see if the crank seals are indeed ok. My mechanic said there was a scuff on the crank and that makes me wonder if the seal isn't working properly.

Can ethanol fuel make these run this bad?

Is there any way to add main jet? I hate to drill mine bigger. Once you drill you can't go back...

Thanks for the brainstorming.

ramey

Post by 72 »

In my experience, of all the kawasaki stuff I have/had, less than half had bad crank seals, thats pretty good considering they are all going on 40 yrs.. An engine swap on those sleds consists of 4 mounting bolts, one wire, chain and the throttle cable.

Ethanol does eat up the old seals simply because the material isnt suited for it, in my experience ethanol does not effect the running until the engine gets totally heat soaked (10-15min) with lots of WOT time. With modern 2 cycle oil you only need to run 40 or 50:1 rather than the 25:1 posted on the tank (just a heads up). If ethanol is that much of a concern do a search for 50 fuel.

Getting two different results with two different carbs would make me want to isolate the issue, and having a second engine makes that an option. Enriching is just going to mask the problem if anything. I know it wont help you much now, but in a week or two I plan on posting a step by step carb conversion (with pics) using a tecumseh carb. PM me if you need a track. John
ramey36

Post by ramey36 »

Hi again 72. I really appreciate the help.

Do you know what goes wrong with the Kikaki carb? Is there something common which fails mechanically? A certain passage which gets blocked? A surface which quits sealing?

Really, is there no form of high speed enrichment?

And it's true the emulsion tube faces outward?

Also, I'll probably PM you about a track. That would be nice to have two Kitty's going for my son and my nephew at the same time.

I'll continue messing with the Kikaki 'til the Tecumseh stuff gets posted. I tune Holley's for circle track and drag race use so I love carb tech. This Kikaki is temperamental...

Post by 72 »

PM sent
Bobob5511

Re: Almost running/please help.

Post by Bobob5511 »

I realize this post is 5 years old, but I hope this reaches one of you. I am having very similar issues with a 73 kitty I just purchased. What I want to confirm with you is the direction of the emulsion tube. The holes really point toward the air cleaner? I cleaned and reassembled mine with the holes towards the engine (logical) and it idles perfectly, and will run WOT for a couple minutes but then bogs down at WOT. It will always idle nicely, but once it’s warm any throttle will bog it down. I pulled the plug after bogging and it was wet. His led me to the float height, which I am also looking for a proper height on. Any suggestions???
dggg

Post by dggg »

Carbs are finicky... If it has been sitting for a while it could be almost anything. For something that is 40+ years old I would hit the reset button and replace the carb before the snow starts flying. Wish I had better advice for you.
AAC

Post by AAC »

Is anyone still reading these posts other than me? I have a similar issue with a 1973 Kitty Cat. This post has a great question,”which way are the holes in the tube supposed to face?” Into the engine or at the air cleaner?
I now have this little cat purring like a kitten at idle and runs like a tiger at WOT, if I have the air cleaner off. When I put the air cleaner on it bogs down in about 50 feet and is rich (starts smoking.) The foam filter in the cleaner is removed too. Carb has been cleaned, have adjusted the float down slightly, great spark and 110 psi compression.
I have the holes in the emulation tube facing into the engine. Is the wrong?
Anyone have any thoughts?