We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

98 kitty carb leak

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

tnuck

98 kitty carb leak

Post by tnuck »

New to this. My carb is leaking on the pto side out of a little hole. Open the gas line and it just drains out. Is this hole supposed to be open?
Show 'em the throttle and keep a spare bumper!!
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

Float or needle sounds stuck. Carb needs a good cleaning.
Remove the 2 nuts (10mm wrench) to get the carb off. Might have to remove the carb intake air box first to make room?
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
tnuck

Post by tnuck »

Got apart and found that the carb was very clean, but the brass looking plate on top had fallen off its mounts and was weighing down the float. Must have been hanging for awhile on one because it was tough to start and poor idle. Put it back together and started in one pull. Thanks for the help.
Thomas
Show 'em the throttle and keep a spare bumper!!
icurrie

Post by icurrie »

I found the same thing on my 96 but when i put it all back together it still leaked. Any other ideas of what might cause this?

Post by 72 »

icurrie wrote:I found the same thing on my 96 but when i put it all back together it still leaked. Any other ideas of what might cause this?
The fuel level moves the float, the float moves the needle, the needle seals to the seat and shuts off the fuel. Something is wrong with 1 or more of the 3. A typical small engine shop can determin what the problem is for about a half hour shop time if you just take the carb in.