We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1973 Kitty Cat only runs with air cover removed?

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

trdehmer

1973 Kitty Cat only runs with air cover removed?

Post by trdehmer »

I have a 1973 Kitty Cat with the stock OEM Kikaki Carb and Air Cleaner Assembly. Its gutted out, nothing is in the Air Cleaner assemlby anymore. Just the cover mounted right onto the carb. I had a dealer put new gaskets/crank seals on throughout the entire motor. It idles fine but once I gave it gas it would start to stall out on me, especially if put under a load.

Brought it to another local dealer. He went through my carb again (after I went through it) and found nothing clogged. Still ran the same. He had a 1972 Kitty in the shop so he switched around carbs, the other 1972 Carb didn't have an Air Cleaner assembly on it. Mine then ran fine with that carb on it! So, he put my carb back on w/o the Air Cleaner assembly and mine also ran fine. So that is a good thing, but my question is why doesn't the stock OEM Air Cleaner assembly allow the sled to breath and run?
[/img]
trdehmer

Post by trdehmer »

Anyone have any thoughts why with the air cleaner or even a piece of foam in front of the carb would choke it off enough so it won't run?

W/o the air cleaner or a piece of foam it seems to run just fine.