We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Some things I have learned with the 72 restoration

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Gordy

Some things I have learned with the 72 restoration

Post by Gordy »

In my restoration I have learned a few things specific to the Kawasaki A style engine.

You can have a good coil, condenser, and points yet get no spark at the plug.

Ignition timing is crucial to get spark! Point gap also!

I thought my coil was bad even though it ohm checked at 5800.

There is a wire on the coil that is soldered to the coil core under the little plastic flap of the coil cover. It can come loose, and need resoldered something to check.

Another note is in looking at the parts diagram it appears that the kill wire is attached to the coil. It is not it goes to the top of the condenser. Something when you get a machine someone else had, and your not sure what was done by them 40 years ago.

Clean those carbs! On the carb is the tickler. It’s a vertical Spring loaded screw on the left side of carb. Pushing down holds the float down to allow more gas in the engine while starting if needed. A well tuned engine doesn’t need it though.

All 72’s had a keyed ignition. Apparently they were problematic. That’s why a lot are missing.

Another thing to check is if the crank case drain screw is missing. This is located next to the engine date tag on the bottom left side of the engine. Mine was missing. Once you get spark, and the engine starts it will only idle with choke on. Similar symptoms to crank case seals leaking. I noticed the hole with out the screw, but initially thought it was just an extra hole in the casting.

Most of this was learned through a contact I made in my quest for a coil. I have the gentleman’s phone number if needed. He’s a wiz with these engines.he owns 20kitty cats. I ended up sending him the engine out of frustration. Thanks Fred!

If you can save these A style engines they are highly sought after as I have seen them go for 460.00 on eBay in running condition! Putting some dollars into them is worth it.
ziggster

Re: Some things I have learned with the 72 restoration

Post by ziggster »

Thanks for the recap! I have owned 2 1972's.

Restoring an old Kitty Cat snowmobile can be a rewarding project, just be aware of potential pitfalls that you might encounter along the way. Here are some common pitfalls to watch out for when restoring an old snowmobile:
  • Underestimating Costs: Restoration projects can quickly become expensive. Costs can include parts, tools, paint, and other materials. It's crucial to set a budget and factor in unexpected expenses.
  • Difficulty Sourcing Parts: Finding original or compatible parts for older snowmobile models can be a challenge. Some parts may be rare or discontinued, leading to delays and frustration.
  • Overambitious Goals: Starting with a complicated restoration as a beginner can be overwhelming. It's better to start with a snowmobile that is at least partially restored and gradually build your skills.
  • Finishing Challenges: Achieving a professional-looking paint job or properly reupholstering the seat can be difficult without the right skills and tools. There's lots of help here at this site though.
  • Loss of Originality: Over-customizing or modifying an old Kitty Cat snowmobile can impact its originality and potentially decrease its value to collectors. This is tough because original Kitty Cats had some design flaws that are better with today's available mods, the low ride suspension being the prime example.