We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1972 kitty kat fly wheel binding

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Gordy

1972 kitty kat fly wheel binding

Post by Gordy »

I took apart the fly wheel to replace condenser. Now it seems after tightening fly wheel down it binds when I try to spin it by hand with out the plug in. Everything was reassembled exactly as disassembled.

I can not see where it would be rubbing on something other than coil?

Reinstalling fly wheel is just line it up with the key, and torque to 56 ftlbs. Or did I miss something?
Gordy

Re: 1972 kitty kat fly wheel binding

Post by Gordy »

Figured it out. Replacement condenser ordered through Arctic Cat dealership was,exact same length however the mounting bracket was 1/8”lower on new condenser causing it to be to high in its mounting position. Trashing the new condenser.

Beware of this when replacing. Compare mounting bracket position to old condenser.
Gordy

Re: 1972 kitty kat fly wheel binding

Post by Gordy »

One other thing besides the top of the condenser leaving a scour mark on the inner flywheel portion. It also caused the coil core to scour the magnets in the outer perimeter. Probably the flywheel was cocked when mounting.

Feel kinda dumb, put it all back together started pulling to see if I got spark. Which no spark so I took it all apart again, and discovered what happened.